Help with solar connection

Nigel W

T6 Guru
I am trying to wire up a solar controller inside my camper and run a lead to a point at the back so I can plug in my suitcase panels as and when required.
All is going well so far but I am struggling to find an easy solution to the connect/disconnect plug and I have butchered so many MC4 and Anderson plugs trying to find a way that I am about to rip it all out…..
My thought is that I use a domestic 13amp plug with an Anderson on the end where the solar connects into the camper together with a 13amp socket as this will a)fit, b) be neat and tidy, c) be switchable and finally add in an additional fuse over and above the ones I fitted at the battery end.
so after all this waffle I would appreciate your thoughts if this idea is stupid or ok and I thank you all in advance @Dellmassive
F9A492B3-75EC-413C-99A7-F19DDECFFFB7.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a similar need and ended up buying the Victron Fly leeds as i use a Victron landside charger, and a Victron Solar MPPT so having a Victron adapter on the end of my soalr pannels made it nice and simple...

1629811602564.png

1629811630075.png

Very east to hide under the bonnet and easy to connect/disconect.

Good luck

I had a similar need and ended up buying the Victron Fly leeds as i use a Victron landside charger, and a Victron Solar MPPT so having a Victron adapter on the end of my soalr pannels made it nice and simple...

View attachment 128207

View attachment 128208

Very east to hide under the bonnet and easy to connect/disconect.

Good luck
Thanks, I did think of that but the wire gauge is too small, I have run 6mm from the controller to the back (awg10) the distance is 3m and am keen not to restrict.

I am trying to wire up a solar controller inside my camper and run a lead to a point at the back so I can plug in my suitcase panels as and when required.
All is going well so far but I am struggling to find an easy solution to the connect/disconnect plug and I have butchered so many MC4 and Anderson plugs trying to find a way that I am about to rip it all out…..
My thought is that I use a domestic 13amp plug with an Anderson on the end where the solar connects into the camper together with a 13amp socket as this will a)fit, b) be neat and tidy, c) be switchable and finally add in an additional fuse over and above the ones I fitted at the battery end.
so after all this waffle I would appreciate your thoughts if this idea is stupid or ok and I thank you all in advance @Dellmassive
View attachment 128205
No don't do that.

Never mix 240v and 12v cables and connectors.

Use the correct connectors, the Victron ones shown above are very good.

I would agree, a plugtop/socket combo seems a bit weird as is probably against some kind of reg somewhere

I have done exactly what you are doing and i just sourced a 2 pin inline plug/socket that i attached to either side

3E0B1485-A083-4C3B-806C-203F695C6216.jpeg

08A3A351-AA75-4A60-B364-C99D00E32981.jpeg

Thanks everyone, I hear what you say, but my issue has been the diameter of the two cables I have run (awg10) and my reluctance to restrict it by inserting a plug with a thinner cable or even trying to get the thick wire to fit- perhaps I am overthinking it?
Anyway how about this idea, I buy the cable below and cut the Anderson plug off one end. I can then feed it through all the obstacles and behind the units so that the cut end comes out where the victron 75/15 is positioned ready for wireing and the end with the plug still fitted remains at the back.
is this cable overkill (I have 2 Renogy solar suitcases total 200w).
must admit it’s really stressed me out today as I am trying to keep all the cables hidden behind units, keep it plug and play and not mess up the spaghetti jungle the converter has left hidden behind the units.
thanks again for helping

Back