Help With Ford Galaxy Seat Air Bag Cover

Andy66

VIP Member
Hi all, I recently got some Ford Galaxy front swivel seats.
The plan is to remove the existing covers, wash and dye them and then put them back on.
I have the seat base stripped and now I'm trying to get the plastic air bag cover/trim off the side of the seat back....but I'm struggling. I can just see two metal clip type bits at the top and bottom but the trim is still not coming away.

Any ideas on how it comes off please ?

Thanks
Andy

Out of interest, what vehicle are these going into ?

Pete

Do you have any pictures of what the seats look like. I can’t help with your question, but would be interested to see them.

Pete

Here you go Pete. this is the Passenger seat, I'm in the process of stripping the drivers side down. They are the type with the swivel base and armrest.
Out of curiosity, why the interest ?

IMG_0367.jpg

Saw a set of these online a while back rapped in black leather and looked the part , also look comfortable

Here you go Pete. this is the Passenger seat, I'm in the process of stripping the drivers side down. They are the type with the swivel base and armrest.
Out of curiosity, why the interest ?

I’m interested in alternatives to the very expensive VW seats :)

Pete

Think you'll find the leather is.....well leatherette. But they look like this. Thinking the head rests would look better filled in and re upholstered but it gives you an idea.

20190421_130410.jpg

Saw a set of these online a while back rapped in black leather and looked the part , also look comfortable

Yeah I heard they were comfy and a good replacement.

I’m interested in alternatives to the very expensive VW seats :)

Pete

Unbelievable isn't it Pete ! I've been looking at seats for ages, Anything specific VW / VW Brand are just crazy prices, anything that will fit a VW but are another brand are just slightly stupid prices ;)

So I've seen Ford Galaxy seats with arm rest and swivel base go for roughly two to three hundred, and to be honest the pics of the seats ...... so much tat for silly money.
I managed to get these quite local on Gumtree for £100 so I thought at that price it's worth a go. Described as good condition, the bolster (?) the seat base edge has gone a bit far, the car they came out of had done 150,000 miles, so I am looking at either getting a replacement foam base, or maybe.....not sure yet, I'll go for option 1 first .

Now, in my ignorance of all things dye related, i thought i could just buy some sort of dye, rub it on and hey presto, apparently not. My wife informed me that the dye will come off onto clothes etc and it needs to be washed after applying, so I have just finished stripping the seats down, the only material I haven't been able to remove is on the headrest, so that will be going into a bucket of dye and rinsed as it is.

I'm just doing one seat at a time so I can use the other as a reference if I need to .

If anyone is interested I totally recommend the Ford Transit Seats for the rear, I put these in a few weeks ago and are really nice ;)

Andy

Possibly chasing up an old thread - but how did you get on getting these fitted, and how do you find them? I've just worked these are what I have fitted, but cushions refurbed and retrimmed with infilled curved top headrests - really like them and super comfy. I cannot believe the date sticker on the base suggesting they are near on 20 years old. How did you find the seat height, specifically of the passenger seats? The drivers is height adjustable and at the bottom is spot on, the passenger is not adjustable and seems to sit at the equivalent to the drivers 'fully raised' position - which the wife really isn't digging. Trying to find anyone else with these seats in a T6 with more experience of them who might have found and solved this.

@Andy66 and @Dieseldonkey how did you get on in the end with the Ford Galaxy seats having now had them in a while?

Im looking to swap my front seats out (1+1) as im not the biggest fan of aftermarket swivels and OEM factory swivels are £££.
Seen ford galaxy with built in swivel for a more reasonable price and wanted to pick your brains on:
  • Overall impression
  • seat height (one of the reasons I dont like aftermarket swivels, seat is too high)
  • Is the swivel solid?
  • Did they fit ok and did it require much modification?
Sorry its alot of questions but thanks in advance!

@Gus_T6_Bus and @david173
Gus_T6_Bus sorry I missed you question, not been on here for a while.
I never got round to fitting them, I removed the material from one of the seats, Tried dying it, failed miserably, as I recall I struggled to get a replacement seat base as well, so I gave up in the end.
As it is my work van as well for me it does actually work better with the existing stock seats

Back