Help!!! remote tailgate lock not working!

minmax89

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi everyone,
Got out the van yesterday and tried to open the tailgate (LWB panel van) and it was 'locked'. I tried to unlock it with the fob a few times and it wouldnt unlock (could hear it clunk the rest of the locks). Went to the side slider, opened that fine, operated the central locking again a few times, went back to the tailgate door and it opened. Thought, "that's odd".
When I got home though, tried it again and it stayed locked. It now wont open at all! Wouldn't open at all today either.
I have to go and do a job on Monday and really need the tailgate to open. The tailgate door has basic ply-lining on the back and I think I may be able to enter the back through the side slider and hopefully get this ply panel off to have a look.

Can any of you experts help in where to start diagnosing what the problem might be? I can not hear the central locking actuator clunking when I operating the central locking from the key fob button, if that helps.

My local VW garage can't look at it till middle of next week. I don't mind that I suppose but if i can temporarily lock/unlock the tailgate door from the inside just to get me through the next few days (or order new parts to replace after diagnosing the issue) that would be good. Also, if it is just a part to replace I wont nead to leave it in the garage for a day (which is like losing a left arm when working)

Hope you can help.

Many thanks everyone!

Adam

My barn door was playing up like that for a while and I found that by pushing the latch away instead of pulling whilst pressing the button it unlocked, it was only a matter of 1mm or so that did the trick. Worth a try. Presumably it is just a little bit of mis-alignment that stops the remote working.

My barn door was playing up like that for a while and I found that by pushing the latch away instead of pulling whilst pressing the button it unlocked, it was only a matter of 1mm or so that did the trick. Worth a try. Presumably it is just a little bit of mis-alignment that stops the remote working.
thanks pal, but it seems tailgate version is quite the different set up compared to barn doors. On mine, its not a 'moving' handle but a fixed one with a button underneath/behind it. So the only way to open from the outside is to press the button (which electronicly releases door) and then pull the whole door to open. Still, I just nipped out and tried what you suggested though but unfortunately that didnt work.

I got a chance to investigate this yesterday. It appears I need a new button/switch.

Below is a video of my findings.

Also, I found this thread which seems to be an identical problem. Delighted I found it.

As you will see the mechanism for releasing the door works when I bridge the blue connector (to simulate the external button/switch). So I need a new switch but can't seem to confidently see whether I need part number 7E0 927 235 or 7E0 827 315? @Pauly is there any light you can shed please? I have a colour coded rear cover so need to re-use this part.

Never been there I’m afraid so not much I can add, only have the other thread to go by so would just follow that I think

Never been there I’m afraid so not much I can add, only have the other thread to go by so would just follow that I think
Thanks @Pauly. I have just ordered this:

from your help on that other thread I'm 99% sure this is what I need. Will update this thread soon as I recieve and fit said item.

On seperate note Pauly, do you supply everything to fit a power latch for tailgate?

Thanks @Pauly. I have just ordered this:

from your help on that other thread I'm 99% sure this is what I need. Will update this thread soon as I recieve and fit said item.

On seperate note Pauly, do you supply everything to fit a power latch for tailgate?
Hi minmax89,
I know this was a while ago but di the new handle fix your tailgate locking issue.
I have the same problem and ity started exactly rthe same way - we had a local garage do some diagnostic work without success but they suggested the issue might be the wiring loom between the van and the tailgate as they managed to get the handle to unlock when they wiggled the loom around - I'm not convinced - be grateful if you could confirm how you fixed yours.
Cheers

I’ve had this issue with a T5.1 where a previous owner had taken a roof rack off and didn’t replace the bungs… water got to the loom and corroded the wires. Anyway, you can run a simple continuity check on the loom using a multimeter, using ohms check the connection from 1 side to the other. I re-soldered a wire to bridge the loom as there was no continuity.

Hi minmax89,
I know this was a while ago but di the new handle fix your tailgate locking issue.
I have the same problem and ity started exactly rthe same way - we had a local garage do some diagnostic work without success but they suggested the issue might be the wiring loom between the van and the tailgate as they managed to get the handle to unlock when they wiggled the loom around - I'm not convinced - be grateful if you could confirm how you fixed yours.
Cheers
Hi there. The problem with mine was the push button switch you grab onto in the outside of the tailgate to open it. There was no other issues with any other components that are associated with opening the tailgate.
How I diagnosed this is shown in the YouTube video I made and linked to in the beginning of this thread. But in summary, working inside cargo area with tailgate closed, removed the rubber cap to access mechanism. You can manually pull the metal rod connecting the motorised servo thing (sorry, no idea what their proper term is) to the latch. I did that and it was working fine. Then I located the two core wire going from external push button handle to said motor thing and disconnected it (small blue plug I think). Then used a small piece of wire to bridge the female part of the connection, simulating the button being pressed, and it worked fine. That to me said it was the push button switch. So ordered a new switch off eBay and fitted it myself. If you do the same as above, and it’s the same issue, let me know if I can help in advice on fitting it.

I’ve had this issue with a T5.1 where a previous owner had taken a roof rack off and didn’t replace the bungs… water got to the loom and corroded the wires. Anyway, you can run a simple continuity check on the loom using a multimeter, using ohms check the connection from 1 side to the other. I re-soldered a wire to bridge the loom as there was no continuity.
Hi there. The problem with mine was the push button switch you grab onto in the outside of the tailgate to open it. There was no other issues with any other components that are associated with opening the tailgate.
How I diagnosed this is shown in the YouTube video I made and linked to in the beginning of this thread. But in summary, working inside cargo area with tailgate closed, removed the rubber cap to access mechanism. You can manually pull the metal rod connecting the motorised servo thing (sorry, no idea what their proper term is) to the latch. I did that and it was working fine. Then I located the two core wire going from external push button handle to said motor thing and disconnected it (small blue plug I think). Then used a small piece of wire to bridge the female part of the connection, simulating the button being pressed, and it worked fine. That to me said it was the push button switch. So ordered a new switch off eBay and fitted it myself. If you do the same as above, and it’s the same issue, let me know if I can help in advice on fitting it.
Thanks for this - I'll test the switch when I can spend a bit more time - in the meantime as our van is a t5.1 but doesn't seem to have the standard parts and hence local vw garage are reluctant to get involved, i've fitted a manual hack by way of a piece of cord attached to the actuator arm so at least i can open from inside.

So ours is a T5.1 but the locking mechanism isn't the standard set up according to their parts diagram and catalogue so i'll try the @minmax89 suggestion / test first and look at the wiring loom after - we did have some water ingress as a result of the tailgate seal failing so that might explain. Thanks

How easy was it to fit buddy, mine plays up, sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t… think I’ll try a new handle, take it that has a micro switch in it!
Cheers

How easy was it to fit buddy, mine plays up, sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t… think I’ll try a new handle, take it that has a micro switch in it!
Cheers
By way of an update to our issue which started intermittently and eventually failed altogether. It turned out to be the wiring loom inside the van that the tailgate wiring all connects to. It's accessed via the panel that sits below the rear passenger side window which houses the electric motor for opening and closing the side door - apparently this housing is still present even if you don't have the motorised door version and was where the water was getting in to the wiring loom / connector. It's also accessed via interior panels above the wheel arch. The connections and loom had corroded over time and caused the intermittent and eventual failure with the tailgate handle / locking mechanism. The local VW technicians have now completely restored this loom / connector and put new connectors on all the wiring - it has taken some time and money to fix but it is now working again. They have also resealed the side panel and used silicon for belt and braces for the future. Hope this helps someone in the future - if you are tech and auto electrical savvy this is something you could diy but it wasn't for me.

Cheers
Yeah real straight forward. I got a new handle off eBay. It comes without the colour coded finishing cover so that had to be removed from old one to fit to new one

Back