Tailgate opens from the inside but not the outside?

CaptainZag

T6 Pro
My T6 Shuttle Tailgate has just today stopped working i.e. I cannot unlock it from the outside, but I can press the OE button on the inside of the tailgate and it will open?

If I try to open it using the keyring (either the open van or open tailgate buttons) the indicators flash. The doors all open, but the tailgate doesn't.

Any help with fault diagnoses would be welcome - please?

The internal and external button utilise the same two wires in the tailgate, theres a negative to one side of the switch then either switch contact simply switches this negative signal and sends it out on the same piece of wire to tell the door to open

If one switch is working then the overall wiring is ok and it can only be an issue with the switch itself or the wiring in the bottom of the tailgate where the handle is (approx 2 foot long)
I would drop your internal tailgate panel of and get access to the external switch wires, its a two pin blue connector with two white wires in it, if you unplug and short out the two pins in the blue connector this will let you know if the issue is with the switch or the wiring - assuming the door opens then the issue is with the switch but remember to start simple, it could simply be that the switch is not connected or plug not pushed fully home

The internal and external button utilise the same two wires in the tailgate, theres a negative to one side of the switch then either switch contact simply switches this negative signal and sends it out on the same piece of wire to tell the door to open

If one switch is working then the overall wiring is ok and it can only be an issue with the switch itself or the wiring in the bottom of the tailgate where the handle is (approx 2 foot long)
I would drop your internal tailgate panel of and get access to the external switch wires, its a two pin blue connector with two white wires in it, if you unplug and short out the two pins in the blue connector this will let you know if the issue is with the switch or the wiring - assuming the door opens then the issue is with the switch but remember to start simple, it could simply be that the switch is not connected or plug not pushed fully home
Brilliant. Very comprehensive reply. I’ll try and have a go tomorrow. I like the keep it simple approach and hope It is just the connection.

@Pauly can you still get VW parts at all? If not can you please let me know a price and part numbers for the tailgate release bezel and switch for a Kombi please? I’d like to fit one to my tailgate. Thank you!

@Pauly can you still get VW parts at all? If not can you please let me know a price and part numbers for the tailgate release bezel and switch for a Kombi please? I’d like to fit one to my tailgate. Thank you!
Your in luck mate, i have a switch/bezel and connector all made up with cable ready to go
Lets touch base tomo and i will sort a price

Update: I can still open the tailgate with the internal OE switch. I have shorted the internal tailgate (2) wires together from the blue switch and this opens the tailgate. I assume it is the electronic switch within the tailgate handle. I made a note of the part number from behind (7E0 827 315). I assume I need to replace this?

I assume the fact that the key remote tailgate opening didn't work points to the switch is the tailgate handle? In addition, I had recently used Carista to make lots of customizations (door lock on moving, etc) and assume this has nothing to do with the lock?

If what I have mentioned above is correct (and following the advice of @Pauly, then I need the tailgate handle/switch 7E0 927 235:

7E0927235TailgateHandle.png

Instead of the handle and actuator mounting bracket that I quoted above as part 7E0 827 315:

7E0827315TailgateActuatorHandle.jpeg

Does this sound right from the fault diagnoses above?

Just in case anyone refers to this in the future - the whole assembly looks like this:
TailgateLockingAssembly.jpg

What changes did you make?
I think the tailgate boot handle switch may have gone based on shorting the boot handle connector block out today. In terms of Carista I pretty much clicked every customisation that I could! I can post a log of the changes tomorrow if you think it could be a Carista related issue and not the tailgate handle switch?

..In terms of Carista I pretty much clicked every customisation that I could!
I can post a log of the changes tomorrow if you think it could be a Carista related issue and not the tailgate handle switch?
Yeah that thought did cross my mind

Where are people buying their VW parts from during lockdown? fleaBay? Audi, VW, Skoda, Seat OEM & VAG parts | oemVWshop

Please could someone help by confirming that if I can short the actuation switch lead out and the boot opens, that I need the Part 7E0 927 235 (push button for rear lid actuation)? I’d just like to check as I’m not that confident with electrical/magic! I haven’t worked on vehicles for years and buying a VW T6, I feel like there is always something that needs doing.

I thought the part-number was 7E0827566

Ah ok - I gave the replacement a go today - quite simple - unscrew three torq bolts , push a clip through and unplug cable..

3d4d3e33-4941-4a61-99b5-0f93dde40ea5-jpeg.42663

Ideally, before committing to buying a replacement tailgate boot handle switch, you would try someone else’s just so you can make sure you’re not replacing one working part for another. Because if it’s coding changes caused with Carista, you’d have wasted your money.

Have a look on the members map and see who’s local to you.

Ah. The map is down.

Anyone in Northampton with a tailgate (not a Caravelle or Cali, unless you enjoy removing your trim panels) that can help out Zag?

Ah. The map is down.

Anyone in Northampton with a tailgate (not a Caravelle or Cali, unless you enjoy removing your trim panels) that can help out Zag?
Thanks for the advice. Do you think VCDS would show an error code for the tailgate switch not working.
The part number you mention 7E0827566 looks almost identical 7E0 927 235 - I’ll investigate.
I already have the tailgate trim panel off (plus quite a bit of skin off my knuckles!).

Thanks for the advice. Do you think VCDS would show an error code for the tailgate switch not working.
The part number you mention 7E0827566 looks almost identical 7E0 927 235 - I’ll investigate.
I already have the tailgate trim panel off (plus quite a bit of skin off my knuckles!).
I’ve never used VCDS so I don’t know.
But if it was me, I’d start by resetting the Carista changes back to standard, turning the van off and locking it, giving it 20 mins and then starting the engine to see if it works.

I will jump on a computer in a bit and have a look at parts/numbers/prices

T
I will jump on a computer in a bit and have a look at parts/numbers/prices
Thanks @Pauly I wonder if the difference between the two (7E0827566 and 7E0927235) is that one allows for a colour coded cover and the other is black? I’d be interested in price and advice on where I can get the switch during lockdown?

Back