Help! Engine Seized

RayC

Tyre testing and development
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
hi guys

I’ve driven uk to Sweden it’s not even cold 0c and the engine is like it’s hydro locked

Everything was fine last night when I switched it off after a big run

The coolant level is low and it was perfect before and no warnings before eg temp was fine heater working no warnings or smoke etc

Fault codes come back with starter blocked

If I try to push start it the wheels are locked solid

Any ideas on issues with T6 150 TDi?

Manual or DSG? if manual and the wheels are locked with the clutch down thats strange, not sure you can push start a DSG as it will be in gear.

If the coolant is low and the engine is hydro locked possibly failed head gasket? can you look inside the oil filler cap is there white mayo in there?

if it is hydro locked best not to try and push start it as you could bend the rods get it checked out by a garage.

If the fault codes are coming back as 'starter blocked' are you sure the starter motor isn't jammed out against the flywheel, thus making it feel like it's seized? will it rock backwards, to maybe disengage the starter if that's the problem. (although rocking a T6 back and forth is not a 1 man job)

I would be calling VW assist or your dealer for help or advice before going any further.

@The_Lad I assume it's manual, DSG won't let you move out of park unless it's running.

We tried pushing it and towing it

The coolant is also low was perfect before

It’s in garage now they said either it’s condensation in the engine which I find hard to believe or engine is broken

No they don’t seem interested it looks like coolant has gone into bores they are waiting until tomorrow

Interesting thoughts guys does it leak in over night

When hot and the coolant is expanded and under pressure and the engine not running. If the engine was running it would get burnt with the fuel.
However, any coolant leaking out of the egr cooler will be in the intake and the engine would have to turn over at least once to ingest the coolant.
If this happens overnight and doesn’t turn over even once it must be coming from the cylinder head or head gasket.

When hot and the coolant is expanded and under pressure and the engine not running.
Sounds plausible I ran about 1000 miles then keyed it off was perfect before and in morning seized solid

Sounds like the same fault mine had after 500 miles. Cracked EGR cooler. Coolant in the bores. Drove the van around in the morning. Went to start it to drive home from work and it wouldn't turn over. Thought the battery was flat at first. VW assist managed to start it. Loads of white smoke.

Let’s see if they fix it first
The reason I mention it is because fixing the problem may not be the whole issue. Unless they go looking deliberately at the block, they may not see any light cracking that could have been caused in the cylinder heads where the pistons have tried to compress the coolant.

This is spooky! Last day of my holiday to Australia, my daughter was driving us through Perth. Sat in traffic.....engine just stopped as if someone had switched it off normally.....no drama at all! She started it up and limped it off the road. Long story short, garage said 3.5 litres more OIL in the sump and engine locked solid! Don't know where the extra oil came from.....I assumed coolant?? Aus $12500 for a recon Mitsubishi diesel engine!!! Apologies for drift....that's a sickener mate! I really hope it's not toast....god, the hassle!!!!!:thumbsdown:

Back