Helicopter tape removal?

roadtripper

2021 Caravelle Executive
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Having fitted the "stealth" type of C awning rail on the roof I'm wondering about protecting the paint a little bit from the awning rubbing.

So far I've just used some masking tape temporarily as it's only been a day event, not elegant but gives peace of mind.

I see helicopter tape as used by the bike folks suggested a fair bit, but I've also seen reports of it lifting paint off the bikes too...

Has anyone had any good or bad experiences removing it when they've used it for protection and any tips for removal before I try it?

Last edited:
Will keep an eye on this one , just fitted a awning rail under my roof bars
Was thinking about using some kind of protective tape just below the rail to protect the paintwork when using the awning

Is paint protection film the same as helicopter tape? I’ve thought the same about applying some along the radiused corner of the roof.

You can buy kits on ebay that come with the plastic smoothing tools or just pay someone to apply it.

I've tried PPF on previous vehicle and I know that removes fine, I'm particularly interested in if the tape is any more difficult to remove because it looks a bit easier to apply.

Having fitted the "stealth" type of C awning rail on the roof I'm wondering about protecting the paint a little bit from the awning rubbing.

So far I've just used some masking tape temporarily as it's only been a day event, not elegant but gives peace of mind.

I see helicopter tape as used by the bike folks suggested a fair bit, but I've also seen reports of it lifting paint off the bikes too...

Has anyone had any good or bad experiences removing it when they've used it for protection and any tips for removal before I try it?
PPF is your go to here.

Back