Heat Shield Loose

Sturge

IT Support
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi

Just got my van back from bodyshop, and not sure if this is how it looked before it went in to them. I dont recall seeing the heat shield here before? Can someone compare to their van?

Thanks

InkedIMG_6150 (003)_LI.jpg

yeh, sort of,

thats just a bit of the Aluminum heat shield, (from the exhaust)

its very soft and bendy, so just get on the floor and bend it back into place.

Has anyone had any of their heat shields come loose or break away?

My van is going into Preston VW centre on Friday for them to look at the heat shield that runs to the left of the centre tunnel (& hand brake cable), beside the petrol tank. Two of the tabs have broken off leaving it dangling as I hope can be seen in the photos.

My van is only 10 months old with 9K miles. I have a concern that VW will try to blame someone else for this, as the heat shield was removed during my conversion to fit the pipwork to the heater, and probably by the LPG converter to fit the fill nozzle below the fuel filler. But both are competant persons, and I don't see that they can be blamed for this. There is no sign of twising of the tab, it just looks like metal fatigue.
Heat Shield.jpg

Heat Shield tab.jpg

Hi,

I’ve never seen this happen to such a new van and I wouldn’t have thought corrosion/fatigue would have happened so quickly. Likely this has been damaged when fitting the pipe work, they may have put too much pressure on it to fatigue it. It’s difficult to see exactly what has happened from the images though.

Rgds

Ian

Eclipse Campers

Thanks Ian.

I've spoken to my converter about it, and they have even had a look themselves, and while they admit that they would have dropped the tank, and removed this heat shield when fitting the heater fuel pipes, they obviously do not admit responsibility. Your response has just confirmed my fears that VW will feel its been caused by someone else and refuse to replace it under warranty. I still can't see how, but I agree that it shouldnt fail otherwise.

If it was hanging like that prior to fuel tank drop the converters or whoever was under van would have noticed and let you know i would presume. You could repair it. Drill holes in tab and shield and use metal cable ties or wire to hold in place.
Rgds
Ian

Yes, I could repair it as I've done several times before on 8-10 year old cars using bits of tin (baked bean tins!) and pop rivits. But I should not have to do that on a 10 month old van!
It's either a faulty part - VW replace it under warranty or it's been damaged during the conversion - but I see no visible signs of that, and my converters have already said it's not them.

Thanks Ian.
Judging by the lack of responses saying that it's happened to them, this is a rare occurance.

I would say so. I've seen older vans with these very pitted, having holes in and they have not failed like that.

Hi

Just got my van back from bodyshop, and not sure if this is how it looked before it went in to them. I dont recall seeing the heat shield here before? Can someone compare to their van?

Thanks

View attachment 36957
Don’t suppose you have an under shot? Mine is missing altogether and trying to track down the part number.

A bit of advise please... I've noticed a piece hanging underneath the van. I'm assume this is part of the undertray/heat shield?

I've not hit anything or gone through puddles so slightly frustrated this is hanging down. I assume this is another common fault with these "premium" vehicles :rolleyes: The vehicles is a 20 plate.

Taking it into VW Commercial this week to get it checked although they kindly informed me this isn't usually covered under warranty. The cynic in my says it's because they know they've installed parts that aren't fit for use and don't want to fork out a ton of cash to rectify.

and breath.... :)

IMG_2307.JPG

There are a few threads on this. If you are lucky, it will be just the metal heat shield bit that has come adrift, and if you can get the van elevated a bit, you can fix it back on with cable ties and ingenuity.
If the plastic shield is damaged too, then it’s a simple diy replacement, and not too costly for parts.

Pete

Back