Haynes Manuals

Slightly off topic, but still Haynes related.

I spent a day with Lindsay Porter, the author of the famous Haynes manuals a few years ago at his home. I was asked to do some work to two of his own Caravans, and this was then featured in Caravan magazine. He's a lovely chap, and it was quite humbling to spend some time with such an iconic author of my generation, when the Haynes manual was the tinker/petrol-heads bible. I suspect like many of you in here, my Dad got me my first Haynes manual and it was for the original Mini that I owned when I turned 16. I have fond memories of stripping down carburettors and brakes, changing my first head gasket, and even a full engine swap on that old Mini with my Dad.
Lindsay Porter published a Caravan Haynes manual several years ago, and my business was also part of this, in the 'improve the exterior' section. This time it was my hands in the photos, and not Lindsay's covered in oil hands doing the 'how to' parts that we all remember.

I sound my age now, but tinkering genuinely was far more fun back then. A load of old tools that you had handed down to you, and a tatty Haynes manual covered in oil finger prints :thumbsup:
Lovely post!

The caravan Haynes Manual was the only one I bought brand new as all the others were donations or bought secondhand!

They were such an iconic series.

Hi all, we have a newish T6 panel van we are going to be converting this year and was thinking about doing a lot of the Bastia services myself but wasn’t sure if the T5 Haynes manual would be relevant for servicing schedule etc. Would the manual mentioned here be more appropriate and detailed enough?

The old Haynes Book of Lies...... :D :D

Probably fine if you want to get the head off a mini..... Probably not if you want to clean a DEF injector or VCDS hack a T6...

I didn’t find anything of value. Resigned myself to paying a fortune and having it serviced by VW :(. Why they can’t produce decent service manuals anymore I don’t know.

Ouch. Thanks for the quick response VW have enough of my cash...time to share the joy in after market sales...

surely there is a T5 Haynes one -?appreciate there’s been a big uplift

I was wondering if a T5 one would be sufficient but a suspect there is a huge difference but really don’t have a clue. And I wouldn’t want to do service myself and miss something important. Maybe someone else on here can enlighten us?

You could purchase access to EWRWIN and download(pdf) the VW official manuals for what you need.
Better still become a VIP member and find most of what you need in our resources section?

Loads of useful info available to VIP members in the download section.

Pete

On the subject of Haynes manuals I have a humble contribution to make. As a new member this is my first contribution - so please go easy on me ! Having owned a T6 for a year I decided that it was time to get a Haynes manual. I was dismayed to find that Haynes didn't do one for it. However they have brought out an online version promising all sorts of bells and whistles ! It's called Autofix. If anyone is considering purchasing one of these then don't bother - they are simply not worth the money. It makes clear that its not based on a full strip down and rebuild but the information provided is generic and could be about almost any motor vehicle. The photos mostly show you other vehicles and the fechnical diagrams simply show some component parts and their relevant torque figures. The whole "manual" is so superficial its almost unbelievable. Considering how good Haynes manuals were in the past - this latest offering is totally disappointing. I even emailed them with my thoughts however the reply did not address some of the issues raised by myself. Has anyone else had a similar experience with Autofix online ?

On the subject of Haynes manuals I have a humble contribution to make. As a new member this is my first contribution - so please go easy on me ! Having owned a T6 for a year I decided that it was time to get a Haynes manual. I was dismayed to find that Haynes didn't do one for it. However they have brought out an online version promising all sorts of bells and whistles ! It's called Autofix. If anyone is considering purchasing one of these then don't bother - they are simply not worth the money. It makes clear that its not based on a full strip down and rebuild but the information provided is generic and could be about almost any motor vehicle. The photos mostly show you other vehicles and the fechnical diagrams simply show some component parts and their relevant torque figures. The whole "manual" is so superficial its almost unbelievable. Considering how good Haynes manuals were in the past - this latest offering is totally disappointing. I even emailed them with my thoughts however the reply did not address some of the issues raised by myself. Has anyone else had a similar experience with Autofix online ?
You’ll get better advice and guidance on here

You’ll get better advice and guidance on here
Thanks ..... from what I've read on the forum so far you're absolutely right. There is more info in the handbook that came with the vehicle than that found on the Autofix "manual".

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
Thanks ..... from what I've read on the forum so far you're absolutely right. There is more info in the handbook that came with the vehicle than that found on the Autofix "manual".
I must confess, I haven’t even read the handbook!

Back