150PS tdi manual Multivan - reliability

1996Taro

Hello! What are you guys thoughts about buying a 2016 Multivan (caravelle) 150 tdi manual 4motion with 130 000 km on the clock? It’s a one owner van with full service history. I used to own a 174 2,5 t5 which gave me a lot of trouble, so I’m wary of getting a lemon. The van I’m thinking of getting is not exactly cheap at 31k euro. But it’s also old enough to have a somewhat high mileage, and the egr, adblue and dpf stuff feels like potentially problematic “features”. No warranty I guess and it’s only 1500 km till the insurance won’t cover any faults on engine.

Thankful for any input on the matter!
Per in Sweden

Replaced my T5 2.5 with T6 150 DSG.
2.5 tdi pulls like a train. 150 it’s a donkey.
Add 4 motion and you’ll regret it. Today On the motorway (Germany) I couldn’t push it over 181kmh on the clock. I have seen 204 on my T5 2.5 and you can feel the difference. Not just top speed. Mid punch doesn’t exist. However with the Dsg box feels faster off the line and overall it’s a great match to the engine.

Thanks for input, however with the roads around where I live 90 kmh is about as fast as I dare, before a hairpin turn on pure ice appears. Top speed is not my concern here in Scandinavia. Main concern is dependability. Has your 150 tdi given you grief in that regard?

I swapped my 2.5tdi 130bhp T5 for a 2.0tdi 150bhp T6, i think the new van is great. The power delivery is alot smoother and its such a nice drive in comparison.

Back