Have I Killed My Clutch?

Rabbit

T6 Pro
My clutch is slipping with only 9k on the clock and I can’t help wondering if it’s my fault :(

I use clutch control quite often which I’m sure doesn’t help and until now I have been guilty of lightly resting my foot on clutch pedal. Is the pedal to sensitive for that?

That said I have already had a power steering pump failure and lock failure (still love the van :)) so part of me hopes it’s another fault, otherwise it’s an expensive bill

whaaaat . . . . .

9k !!!!!! you should be getting 90K at least, if not much more !!!

might be time to swap that manul van out for a DSG variant.

if you have cooked it im sure that the van and engine bay will be stinking of burnt clutch/friction material . . . an acrid nasty stench.

have you noticed that at any point?

whaaaat . . . . .

9k !!!!!! you should be getting 90K !!!

might be time to swap that manul van out for a DSG variant.

if you have cooked it im sure that the van and engine bay will be stinking of burnt clutch/friction material . . . an acrid nasty stench.

have you noticed that at any point?
Maybe once or twice, but as a general rule no to smell.

The service guy was surprised when I mentioned the mileage and said it was likely a fault, but still I wondered...

Would have loved a dsg, but it wasn’t an option at the time. Wanted a petrol and needed it fast so a lwb dsg wasn’t an option at the time.

90 k my previous T5 174 ps clutch lasted 14 years and 167000 miles so expecting the same from my new T6 150 ps
you are either a very bad boy or a very faulty clutch

It's usually the thrust bearing which suffers from the clutch being ridden.

I can still remember my driving instructor slapping my leg every time I left my foot on the clutch. I'm still scared to do it nearly 40 odd years later lol.

Phew, thanks guys :thumbsup:

Never thought I would be grateful to have another van fault, but compared to the price of a new clutch I am :)

No more clutch foot resting that's for sure!

My clutch is slipping with only 9k on the clock and I can’t help wondering if it’s my fault :(

I use clutch control quite often which I’m sure doesn’t help and until now I have been guilty of lightly resting my foot on clutch pedal. Is the pedal to sensitive for that?

That said I have already had a power steering pump failure and lock failure (still love the van :)) so part of me hopes it’s another fault, otherwise it’s an expensive bill
Have a look at T6 Clutch Slipping Question!!

My first T5 1.9 (04) had to have a new clutch at about 15000.
I took it in and told them it was unacceptable and they said they would look at it.
They replaced the clutch and tried to charge me. I refused to pay and they gave in.
That was Simpsons at Lowestoft, they were a top class dealership.

To be fair to the Cleckheaton dealership they did say in all likelihood given the mileage it was probably a fault but couldn’t rule out it being caused by me until they had looked at it, which is fair enough.

Taken a look at the mention thread and hopefully it is something similar. Never thought to give vw assist a ring though and have just booked direct :rolleyes:. Guess I still haven’t fully made the transfer from ford to vw yet, I’m so pleased that they will do the work when they say (instead of it sitting at the dealership for days) that I don’t mind dropping the vehicle off myself or even think to ask for a replacement.

On the upside as the van is going into them anyway on Tuesday I’ve book the install of the chrome side bars, something I’ve wanted ever since I caught the underside of the van, but didn’t want the hassle of the dropping the van off just for it.

Well if I hadn’t killed my clutch before I definitely have now!

Can no longer select a gear with the engine running and a heck of a burning smell. Annoying thing is that I was driving to the dealership. Guess I won’t be getting the van back in a day after all :(

keep us posted with your results =]

So that now sounds like its the clutch operating mechanism that is at fault - e.g. sticking clutch slave cylinder or incorrectly adjusted/fitted master cylinder but could be release bearing or similar. They might only try to replace the defective parts however I'd push them to replace the full clutch kit too (plate and pressure plate)....maybe even a new flywheel whilst they are at it - claiming that they have had their service life significantly reduced.

No leak on the oil seals or any other defects, so they are saying its 100% my fault. Not really argued it as I have a feeling deep down it is, I do at least 5 hill starts a day with needing to crip very slowly forward often (so clutch only partially released) at the same time, plus the clutch riding, and well I'm not going to argue it. I'm already in a legal battle with another garage, so I'm just going to accept it. :(

Clutch, flywheel and release bearings have been completely destroyed, pressure plate full of crap, zero clutch material left as rivets on clutch have cut into the flywheel, it's very very bad in short. Perhaps if I had got the van to them sooner I could have argued it, but with the level of damage now... £1100 plus VAT, plus sidebars means I'm getting a nice Xmass present of just under £2000. On the plus side I'm getting a free oil change service so its not all bad :laugh::cry:

No leak on the oil seals or any other defects, so they are saying its 100% my fault. Not really argued it as I have a feeling deep down it is, I do at least 5 hill starts a day with needing to crip very slowly forward often (so clutch only partially released) at the same time, plus the clutch riding, and well I'm not going to argue it. I'm already in a legal battle with another garage, so I'm just going to accept it. :(
It sounds like need something with a traditional automatic gearbox (torque converter)

Clutch, flywheel and release bearings have been completely destroyed, pressure plate full of crap, zero clutch material left as rivets on clutch have cut into the flywheel, it's very very bad in short. Perhaps if I had got the van to them sooner I could have argued it, but with the level of damage now... £1100 plus VAT, plus sidebars means I'm getting a nice Xmass present of just under £2000. On the plus side I'm getting a free oil change service so its not all bad :laugh::cry:

I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe you've destroyed the clutch yourself if you say you've never smelt any burning. Clutch control is pretty normal driving, and resting your foot on the clutch won't effect it, unless you are actually putting pressure on the pedal, which would make your leg ache.
It would take quite a prolonged period of total abuse to destroy a clutch that fast. I'd be asking to see the clutch plates from your vehicle, and seeing if there's any evidence of abuse, and if you have caused the issue that quickly, mate you need to seriously consider if a manual is for you with the greatest respect, because you'd be going through clutches faster than I go through tyres.

Last edited:
Video link removed

I would love an automatic, but I also love the fact that I have a petrol. I need to start seriously altering the way I drive that for sure

Last edited:
Video link here that they sent me
YE18RKN

I would love an automatic, but I also love the fact that I have a petrol. I need to start seriously altering the way I drive that for sure

I stand corrected :eek: Even the tech's voice is a little shocked. I'm very surprised that you've not had a constant burning smell judging by how hot everything has got. (although a lot of the visual damage would of been caused very recently once the rivets started contact with the flywheel) Looking at the clutch he's removed, you'd never guess that's from a 9000 mile vehicle.
Don't the manuals have Hill Assist? My previous Vivaro did, and that almost eliminated the need to use any clutch control on hills.

Maybe find a route with less hills ;)

Yep its got hill start, the trouble is that I'm often hill starting onto a main road so need to creep out past hedges/parked cars to see what is coming. Need to badly start changing the way I drive that for sure. Really wish I had waited for an automatic now :(

Alas as they no longer do the petrol engine then changing the van isn't an option as I have zero wish to go back to diesel.

Thankfully I'm planning to move to Shropshire in a few months time so the number of hill starts will rapidly decrease :)

Back