Has anyone solved the problem of window condensation while using campervan?

Coly

Has anyone solved the problem of window condensation while using campervan? I am considering a small dc dehumidifier but concerned by current consumption.

It’s all about the dew point.

Heat, ventilate and avoid using gas hobs as burning gas produces water. Diesel hobs have external flues, far better.

DXX thanks for the advice on diesel hobs never heard of the them before. Can you recommend one? I have found the Wallas at £1707.

I did buy a 12 volt dehumidifier - unlike home models they use a low wattage of 25 -50w, so should run all day on a leisure battery. They definitely remove moisture, but I found the blue glow emitted by my model meant I couldn't use overnight.
On hook up I use a fan heater, external screen cover, and have made an extractor fan vent which fits into my side window.
If not hooked up I have a diesel heater fitted on my van.

Window vent.JPG

DXX thanks for the advice on diesel hobs never heard of the them before. Can you recommend one? I have found the Wallas at £1707.
The Wallas XC Duo is excellent, I have one.
Search ‘wallas’ on the forum and you’ll find more info’.

I did buy a 12 volt dehumidifier - unlike home models they use a low wattage of 25 -50w, so should run all day on a leisure battery. They definitely remove moisture, but I found the blue glow emitted by my model meant I couldn't use overnight.
On hook up I use a fan heater, external screen cover, and have made an extractor fan vent which fits into my side window.
If not hooked up I have a diesel heater fitted on my van.

View attachment 136767
A dehumidifier only works effectively if the air entering it is above the dew point.
You could disable the blue light or put some tape over it.

The Wallas XC Duo is excellent, I have one.
Search ‘wallas’ on the forum and you’ll find more info’.
The Wallas XC Duo looks such a great piece of kit which for me would be a real space saver. I currently use gas for the hob and diesel for heating. The diesel heater uses 10 amps at times which can knock the lithium battery out when it is a bit low. Does the Wallas do the same? We use the gas hob to cook toast is the Wallas hob hot enough to do the same? How hot does top get when used as a heater?

The Wallas XC Duo looks such a great piece of kit which for me would be a real space saver. I currently use gas for the hob and diesel for heating. The diesel heater uses 10 amps at times which can knock the lithium battery out when it is a bit low. Does the Wallas do the same? We use the gas hob to cook toast is the Wallas hob hot enough to do the same? How hot does top get when used as a heater?
If you go online and look at the Wallas manual you’ll see the power and fuel consumption, it’s minimal, no issues with 110Ah of AGM.
Regarding toast you can use a ceramic baking sheet on the hob, cost a couple of quid on ebay. Wallas sell an overpriced toasting rack that will just drop crumbs and burn on the hob.

If you mean overnight when sleeping in it then you might struggle.
We have the front windows open a crack, and we have deflectors to stop rain getting in.
Keep it well ventilated during the day.
Buy a window condensation vacuum like this for the mornings:

Pete

You need more fresh air ventilation.

We have similar issues in a tent.

Increasing the air ventilation was the only fix for us.

Google ‘dew point calculator’, if the relative humidity and temperature of the air in the van is below the dew point you WILL have condensation. It’s very precise.
Once you get the air conditions above the dew point you have a chance of ventilating the moisture laden air out of the van.
To ventilate you preferably need a convection flow so a high route out (poptop) and a lower route in (cab window cracked), no flow = ineffective ventilation.
There is no way around this.

External barn door screens. External wind screen covers. Windows open to just above wind deflectors. I have never had a problem.
the usb dehumidifier is the only gadget we have not used and we gave away.

the whole idea of the sound deadening and thick insulation and carpeted panels and exposed internal metal work is to stop the internal air touching the cold internal door, walls and exposed metalwork filling the cavities with condensation water in the bottom of the cavities
its hard to eliminate it all So.....

1 / don't breath in the van

2/ don't go on or near dew covered or damp grass

3/ don't open doors or windows on rainy days

4 / don't put up that cold Pop top

5 / don't boil a kettle or a saucepan

6/ don't cook with gas

7/ Do book a hotel room ............. ha ha ha

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I see there's a few threads on this topic still.

We've (Me, the Mrs and a Boxer) have just had a short notice break, 2 nights in Pickering, North York's on a site 10 mins walk from the town centre. It was gorgeous weather through the day but pretty cold overnight (only 3°) - typical April / May temps.

A bit of background to this. We have window deflectors and drop the front windows to aid circulation. This sadly negates the use of the diesel heater which was awesome in getting the temp comfortable but it simply gets lost within 5 mins of dropping the windows and becomes pointless.

The van has no pop-top but is fully lined and carpeted throughout the rear but not so from the B posts forwards as yet. That job is pending for summer this year. I used full wrap-round outside covers. I also have internal front door window covers which did do a great job in preventing condensation. Infact, it was hardly noticeable in contrast to the main screen.

My post is about condensation but in relation to sleeping rather than temperature alone. I understand most of the physics / dew point / cold surfaces etc and it's an ongoing task to curb it like the rest of you but my question is - When the screen does have heavy condensation, where does it run off to? Did VW build in drain channels or will the front end detach in 10 years or so?

For me, the shark fin type rubber windscreen seal is good for lining up all the kitchen roll you'll go through. Its not water proof but it helps in the mopping up. It's also good for preventing the loss of pens and parking tickets through the rest of the year :thumbsup:

I'm currently using a 'T' type window squeegee which I'm getting pretty good at. Is it worth investing in a screen vacuum as someone suggested as I don't this this issue will go away.

Oh and will using a cab curtain / divider help at all? Regards.

Rainbow screens front thermal cover and pop top cover sorted the front windows and pop top. We still get condensation on the side windows but don’t mind that (easy to mop/dry out). Never had any damp on the front screens in any conditions since I got the external screens though, they were a game changer. Not tested the pop cover much yet but hopefully they will remove the issue we had in Dec when it got really wet inside and couldn’t dry properly as it kept raining every time I put it up to dry!

We hardly ever have bad condensation issues even using the van in Scotland during the winter. Mainly I think because the Jerba Campervans Pop top has a ventile fabric which breathes. I also have a Rainbow screens insulated windscreen cover. Usually we get an electric hook up and use a small 600w electric radiator but don't need to open any windows or vents. We also use an electric kettle when we can which saves gas and water production.
When I first used the van in winter we pulled the pop top down for warmth and that did cause condensation but now we pull the pop top bed down and rig a curtain at the end to keep heat in the sleeping area. This arrangement is much better for condensation. (bloody cold getting up for the porta pottie tho)
To be clear we still get a little on the side windows but not much and it dries up easily.

Thanks for the replies guys. Does anyone / screen fitters / bodymen have any knowledge of where the condensation runs off to behind the dash?

In our camper it just sits there in the screen until we vacuum it off. Do you have so much condensation that it starts to run off the screen ?

Pete

Hi Pete, No, not as bad as that and I'm confident the van is dry. It was a cold couple of nights and the screen held moisture like any other time but as I squeegee'd the moisture to catch it in the hand towels, some of it ran off down beyond the dash.

The dew point will have been high as the grass was wet aswell. I was just interested where the water sits when it stops running and will it develop into a fusty smell etc.

Back