Condensation!

Before you turn the engine off, direct the blower to the floor so any damp air that enters whilst parked up is not directed straight onto the windscreen. I also run my aircon for the last couple of miles to get dry air inside the cab. I've tried switching to recirculating air prior to turning off but I'm not convinced that makes any difference. Obviously it's not going to help if you're sleeping in the van!

Anyone using a window vacuum to mop up condensation after a night sleeping in the van. if so how have you found these?
Not heard of anyone using Karchers, etc., in their van but I know a lot of boaters use them with good results.

Since we started using external thermal screens on the front, front side and rear windows when we sleep in the van condensation on the covered windows has been eliminated. Still get plenty on the uncovered side windows but we just mop up with a bit of paper towel.

Because it's November and I live in Northern England

Leaving the aircon on does not change the temperature you set the heating to.

It gives you dryer air but, importantly, the coolant actually contains a lubricant that maintains the rubber seals and pipework. Failing to use your air conditioning for a long period means the coolant and lubricant won’t move around the system. That can lead to leaky seals.

Also, moisture can build up in the ducts and bacteria will start to give you a stale smell.

If you don't want to use it, it is recommended you run the aircon on full cold every couple of weeks for 10 mins or so.

It gives you dryer air but, importantly, the coolant actually contains a lubricant that maintains the rubber seals and pipework. Failing to use your air conditioning for a long period means the coolant and lubricant won’t move around the system. That can lead to leaky seals.

Also, moisture can build up in the ducts and bacteria will start to give you a stale smell.

If you don't want to use it, it is recommended you run the aircon on full cold every couple of weeks for 10 mins or so.
Absolutely, I've never turned the aircon off in any vehicle in 20 years, it's not just for cooling, the condensation will clear much quicker on cold mornings (in fact if you select max defrost your ac will be turned on).

Last edited:
Before you turn the engine off, direct the blower to the floor so any damp air that enters whilst parked up is not directed straight onto the windscreen. I also run my aircon for the last couple of miles to get dry air inside the cab. I've tried switching to recirculating air prior to turning off but I'm not convinced that makes any difference. Obviously it's not going to help if you're sleeping in the van!
This is great advice and I will try this tonight

I do use it first thing to stop the screen from misting up and as previously stated to get dry air in the cab before parking up. The rest of the time it is just a parasitic load on the engine so I turn it off.

I'm trying the cat litter approach, silica non clumping odour free. £2 bag from Wilkinson's.
It didn't work very well so now have a large silica bag from Amazon. I don't believe anything will work well enough when we are both sleeping in the vab.

Hi, I have just taken down the roof to fit a new halo one. There was some condensation patches. Any thoughts?

There is black foam stuck to roof (sound deadening?). I am thinking of taking this off. Doing dodo strips and then sticking back over. Do you think this is necessary and would you also add some insulation?

Many thanks.

791E9DA6-6BEC-4766-90BC-88B521235F57.jpeg

04E85889-F086-457B-A04D-4644B0E52DB9.jpeg

Ok, so have other jobs to be going on with (never ending..), but will be coming back to this and hoping some can advise to remove the foam or leave it?

I was going to remove, put dodo mat and then reapply the foam insulation/deadening and then if room add further insulation.

When I did mine I stripped it down to bare metal, then silent coat, followed by dodo liner
Seems to keep warmth in and has definitely kept noise down

20201022_142326.jpg

Try using this tool
Whatever you attach to the van if it’s surface temperature is below the dew point for the internal air temperature / relative humidity it will allow condensation.
Ultimately ventilation and heating is key in the colder months, avoiding using gas hobs will also help as burning LPG produces water.

Not due to lack of use, rather when its parked facing North and the weather is cold and wet with no wind. Only on the inside of the front screen (ie North). I think the heat retaining glass is also a factor. Had the same on my Up!, probably worse.

Have a Search on the forum, there are many threads regarding condensation.
Make sure you fix any leaks and don’t leave wet gear in the van.
Run the AC all year if you have it, heat and most importantly ventilate.

Back