Has anyone had a kombi converted into a 9 seat shuttle?

GetTheDub

Has anyone converted a t6 or t6.1 kombi into a 9 seat shuttle with windows all round?
If so, how did it go? How much did it cost and was it easy enough to get your insurance company to recognize it as a shuttle?

Cheers

As I understand it:
  • You won't get it changed from N1 to M1.
  • You will get 'van with windows' on the V5, so still limited to commercial vehicle speed limits.
  • You need to change the number of seats on the V5.
  • Apart from that, I can't see why you wouldn't get insured.

Reactions: Bav
Doesn't matter if it is N1 or M1 for car speed limits it is how it is being used...........just like campers and kombis with dual purpose.

Regards the OP question:
- Depending on what seat layout you want mid row seats have increased in value especially if you want the 1/1/1 set as opposed to the 2/1 set up.
- Triple benches don't usually cost much.
- brackets for inside the van have gone a bit crazy in pricing
- brackets for underneath still seem normal from places like THQ or even VW
- you will probably also want a shuttle carpet, they dont seem to cost much although there seem to be more LWB shuttles than SWB so what van are you thinking of converting?
- windows for mid row easily sought from usual suppliers
- windows for rear panels I dont honestly know
- I am sure it cant be difficult to add a rear window either however unlikely to be so simple to wire up demister and wipers etc

Ideally you are looking for someone who has bought a shuttle to do a conversion and so you can shop for it all in one place as that is likely to be the most cost effective option.
Installation of seats isn't overtly challenging or costly from a labour perspective.

Unless you have the best van already with an amazing spec I'd just be looking to get a shuttle.

As far as I’m aware 9 seats is going to be expensive to insure.

I bought mine as a 9 seat window van (classed same as a car on the V5) and dropping to 8 seats made a huge difference to the insurance.

I do wonder if there is some confusion in the insurance world as I read there there is a threshold at 9 passengers whereas the T6 would be 8 passengers plus driver which is subtly different.

Back