Happy Friday The 13th!

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Well, it had to happen sooner or later! I decided to take a different route home tonight....and this happens! No one died so it's no more than an inconvenience. This might be a really silly question....and I think I know the answer, but does anyone out there think this tyre might be repairable? By the way, it's the first time in 39 years of driving that I've had to change a wheel at the roadside so mustn't grumble. Thoughts gents??:thumbsup:IMG_20200313_173044.jpg

IMG_20200313_175127.jpg

IMG_20200313_175454.jpg

In my very non professional opinion I would say that’s knackered

Looks like a shard of brake pad material! As it’s more of a cut than a hole, I don’t think it’ll safely repair.

My money is on a repair. It might just be the point that's gone through the tyre.

Repair patch in the inside, no worries.... maybe move it over to the spare.?

You were lucky to be able to get the wheel off. I changed mine today and the rears wouldn't budge. I had to go and borrow a friendly tyre fitters big, rubber thumpometer.

Okay guys....thanks for the input. I took it to a tyre repair centre who can do vulcanising.....basically they were in no doubt. The tyre is scrap....it had ripped through all the internal structure so it had lost its internal strength. The spare steely had the same hankook tyre as the claytons so I got them to put that on the clayton and got a budget tyre put on the steel spare which seemed to make sense. Th whole deal cost £59 (versus £95 for a hankook which would be slung back under the van, HOPEFULLY never again to see the light of day???) and a two hour round trip which we turned into a day out.....cos a trip to the tyre repair place is an indication of my rock n roll lifestyle!! :rofl:

You were lucky to be able to get the wheel off. I changed mine today and the rears wouldn't budge. I had to go and borrow a friendly tyre fitters big, rubber thumpometer.

@dubber36 .....came off a treat.....but I always use copper grease (yes, I know there's a debate as to the suitability of copper grease but I've always used it and it's worked for me) on the hubs when I swap between claytons and devonports. I had a problem taking one of the devonports off the very first time I put the winter claytons on.....I tried every trick in the book and was going to take it to a tyre fitter but persevered with a rubber mallet and block of wood. Grease your hubs gents.....you don't want to find out at the roadside that dissimilar metals don't half weld themselves together!!! Just my thoughts.:thumbsup:

@dubber36 .....came off a treat.....but I always use copper grease (yes, I know there's a debate as to the suitability of copper grease but I've always used it and it's worked for me) on the hubs when I swap between claytons and devonports. I had a problem taking one of the devonports off the very first time I put the winter claytons on.....I tried every trick in the book and was going to take it to a tyre fitter but persevered with a rubber mallet and block of wood. Grease your hubs gents.....you don't want to find out at the roadside that dissimilar metals don't half weld themselves together!!! Just my thoughts.:thumbsup:
I’ve alwAys been the same ! I copper grease most things contrary to what they now say ! But I’ve never had any issues, I have just done the discs and pads on the wife’s quashqai today and all the wheel studs came off without any issues , and as you said , copper grease the discs where the wheel makes contact and they always just drop off without having to use the wooded mallet :thumbsup: I learnt this from my dad who is an old time mechanic , and I keep on using it !

Undo the studs a bit (like 1 turn) before you jack it up...the weight of the van helps the wheel brake free. To be doubly sure, drive it a couple of feet with the loose studs and it will almost certainly come off without issue. It might get you out of trouble when the tyres fitters thumper isn't accessible

Back