Handy tools for the Campervan

Annabel Richman

Hi to you all, I'm new to the forum. It's been so helpful to read all your discussions. We picked up our T6 conversion this week, 2017 acapulco blue, converted at Waveney Campers, in Norfolk. First meal and night out in her planned for tonight! We are hoping to drive her down to Greece later in the year and I wondered what basic tools you might recommend for us to carry. I will take out European breakdown too!

Do you need breakdown, I thought the VW warranty breakdown covered all Europe or am I being stupid?

That's a very good point! I will check on that! It's going in for a service at VW and I will ask them to explain what our entitlements are. I know very little, I just have the service book!

If the VW warranty is anything like my previous RAC cover, check that their definition of Europe includes the (European) countries that you are travelling to.
The RAC cover only covered 2/3 of Europe.

Yes please do check and let us know what they say about the European breakdown as I have just assumed.....

Other things to take on a new conversion (as we did exactly the same) and we wished we had packed the following
Spare fuses for both the vehicle and whatever ‘box’ the converters have fitted. One of those little screwdrivers with different heads stored in handle, gorilla tape, get a locking nut for the spare wheel or it will be nicked and some long nosed pliers.

We had an electric issue on ours in the Sargent control box which was an easy fix as long as you have a screwdriver, guess what we didn’t have........

Regardless of warranty it’s always a good idea to take basic tools even more so in a camper/conversion as any modifications won’t be covered and quite often basic things you can sort or bodge until your return
I think snips and a pair of pliers plus a small socket set that preferably includes torx drive is essential along with a couple cross head and flat screw drivers
Probably a good idea to take something to work on wiring so some crimps or even some connector blocks can get you out of trouble
Here’s the Bahco set I carry (£30ish), this along with a couple plastic trim tools and I can strip the interior of my van

image.jpg

Wow..that great advice...thanks everyone (especially the bottle opener )
Can I ask another question...our tap is running slow since we drained and re-filled the water...any ideas? Have we got air in the system?

I also have a set of spline bits as so much vw stuff uses it:
D125FD52-934C-446B-B442-71F15B6A8871.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd agree with all the above and add a torch (i've got a great little tiltable one with a magnetic base from ebay) and a few cable ties

Wow..that great advice...thanks everyone (especially the bottle opener )
Can I ask another question...our tap is running slow since we drained and re-filled the water...any ideas? Have we got air in the system?

A kinky hose?

I would add a wrecking bar and 19mm socket and do away with the useless VW wheel brace, an idea I borrowed from @Tourershine :thumbsup:

Compressor with hose and guage
Towing strop
2 x D-shackles
Boost Jump Starter
Torch
Socket set(s)
Wrecker bar and socket

A kinky hose?

I would add a wrecking bar and 19mm socket and do away with the useless VW wheel brace, an idea I borrowed from @Tourershine :thumbsup:

Unless you run aftermarket alloys, which can sometimes use 17mm bolts.

I had to buy a new breaker bar for the MH the other day, and was really surprised on how nice the quality was for a long half inch bar from Machine Mart for £20. I remember when these things cost 5x that!

Back