Handbrake removal on dsg

monkeytrumpet

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Afternoon all, I have a dsg I'm just converting, and it strikes me the handbrake isn't really necessary in a dsg? Can I not just leave it in 'P'? Had anyone got rid of their handbrake?

Could make it difficult to pass the MOT, as it is part of the test.

Pete

What happens when you have a brake failure? you won't be able to throw it into park at 30 mph....
I have seen electric handbrake mods as they are fitted to vehicles adapted for disabled drivers.
You would also have to consult with your insurance company.

I tend not to apply the hand brake when in ‘park’ unless I’m on an incline then I will use the brake for extra piece of mind and to avoid putting too much strain on the gearbox.

I tend not to apply the hand brake when in ‘park’ unless I’m on an incline then I will use the brake for extra piece of mind and to avoid putting too much strain on the gearbox.
Same here

Hand break is 100% nessesary.

The DSG Park mode is just a dog clutch style that engages a solenoid into the crown wheel or similar.... it not for holding the weight of a van on a hill.

If you have tried putting it in park on a hill then relrease the foot break befor pulling the handbreak you will know what I mean.

Especially when its time to move off again.....

Also a requirement for MOT and by proxy an insurance requirement.

Back