Electric Handbrake

DGY

VIP Member
Does anyone have any experience of changing the handbrake into an electric handbrake operable via a button on the dash?
Thank you

That is the one thing I wish our Cali had as the lever stops the drivers seat from swivelling, fortunately its a DSG so can be left in park.

I thought about an electro-mechanical mod but put off by MOT issues.

What about moving the handle to the area underneath the steering column, like the old Ford Rangers and Toyota Hiace busses? It’d certainly get rid of the swivel issue along with the necessity to need extra long arms to reach it :waving:

I've an electric handbrake on my Passat. I hate it with a vengeance. Great car, badly spoilt by a rubbish handbrake system.
You know when you are parked half up on a kerb between other vehicles.
With the handbrake you can gently and slowly control the roll off the kerb, not with a bloomin button though!

I don't have the experience of fitting one, as i had to get an engineer to fit it, so he could sign off on it (in Australia)

But i'm happy with it, the hand brake is no longer an issue with the swivel seat.

It does take about 10 seconds to engage and disengage, via the button on the dash, but thats not a big issue.

IMG_1128.jpg

Hi Bryn23. I'm in Brisbane and have a T6 that I'd like to fit with an electric handbrake. Are you able to let me know who did yours?

I’ve been looking @ the E Stopp electric handbrake solution. Neat bit of kit but a bit pricey!

Having come from an electric handbrake on a Skoda Superb, the T6 now seems very archaic (as does the infotainment & MFC).

Last edited:
Fitting a OEM style electric handbrake is not as easy as you think. When you press the button the EHB uses the vehicles ABS system to apply the rear brakes and only when you switch off the ignition does the EHB motor wind in. This way you can simply pull away and the car releases the ABS brake, similar to the hill start function.

I guess you could add a non-integrated version using a switch, but it's a lot of effort.

Yes, I am aware how the current EHB’s work. E Stopp is a simple manual HB replacement solution. A friend of mine converted his car some time ago and is still happy with it. Reasonably simple to fit too.

Back