Gutted

Gutted for you mate but look at the positive, there's no panel damage so when fixed will literally be as good as new.
I had an accident in mine and my insurance company tried sending it off 200 miles away to some generic garage I had never heard of, I refused and said I will take it to nobody but VW to be repaired, they protested for 24 hours and I had to speak to a supervisor at the insurance company who wanted to know why and then they accepted it and I dealt with it myself locally, it your right to get it repaired by who you want as long as the price is reasonable
Just thought I would put it out there

Alot of time when you drop you car off at VW dealership they move it off site to a manufacturer approved repairer.

Its your decision where it gets repaired it simply needs to be at agreed rates.

Yes that's how mine went down so I went straight to the approved body shop and dealt with them direct, very smooth process and only lost the van for a few days

Be interesting to know what happened due to damage, if someone drives into the back of you the damage is rarely on the side of there car.

This looks like you were reversing and she has nipped behind you.

Please tell me you had witness.
Looks like it was a carpark so I doubt you can claim

Be interesting to know what happened due to damage, if someone drives into the back of you the damage is rarely on the side of there car.

This looks like you were reversing and she has nipped behind you.

Please tell me you had witness.
Or front and rear dashcams!

This would of been her view of me before i have even moved. Her initial excuse of not seeing me didn't fly as if she was doing the 10mph speed limit she had plenty of time to stop or avoid. It's my company insurance so will see what the boss says20170616_144221.jpg

This would of been her view of me before i have even moved. Her initial excuse of not seeing me didn't fly as if she was doing the 10mph speed limit she had plenty of time to stop or avoid. It's my company insurance so will see what the boss saysView attachment 9791
Plus your reversing light(s) would have been on. You would have been unsighteded I expect but had she been paying attention she would, and should, have seen you moving. You need accurate time so that her phone records can be examined to show the phone was in use.

I have had similar experiences in my old panel van when reversing, though never a collision. Had quite a few angry people beeping horns, which is really annoying as I was reversing slowly due the fact I was reversing blind apart from directly behind me.

I have a horrible feeling reversing into someone (or them hitting you as you reverse out) might be always considered your fault by insurers.
But not certain.

Well aim was going out this morning and when we were coming to the station I noticed a police car blocking a road with the lights going. Glancing to the left a Porsche had clipped a Fiat 500 and mounted a BT green distribution box knocking it over. Looked. Like the Fiat had pulled out in front of him and get took avoiding action ending up nearly going in someone's back garden. Be interesting to know how they got that off. I feel we are surrounded by people who fail to look but then I think we are all guilty sometimes

The way the insurance will look at this is that you are pulling from a parked position and therefore the onus was up to you to wait until safe to do so. Speed will never be used as a factor or the fact she didnt see you.

she was on the phone ?
did you call police ?
that wants reporting if not already done with exact time
driving without due care and attention ?
gosh i would seriously push the phone thing

Awful! What an idiot she is! I would have reported her for being on the phone. I too always try to reverse into spaces where possible,but not always possible!

I seem to remember that drivers need to be aware and give way to larger vehicles reversing especially if their view is hindered, I.e. Panel van with no windows.

Last edited:
Gutted for you mate. It might have bent the reinforcing bar behind and bust some of the plastic clips at each side. I got a detachable tow bar for mine but decided to leave the ball on all the time, it might just slow any impact a bit. Problem is that I have bashed my shins on it twice already. I always aim to park nose to tail when possible, the theory being that bumpers bolt on and are easy to replace. Panels down the sides never quite look right after respray and masking lines.

Back