[GUIDE] How to remove the front bumper on a VW Transporter T6

Yes foglights (and parking sensors) stay in place, all the electrics on the bumper have there own loom(s)
After releasing the offside corner of the bumper you can pull the edge forward and see the plug(s) for bumper wiring and undo them before fully releasing the bumper
Another fab thread covering exactly what I'm planning and I'm very grateful for. Do you @Pauly or anyone else have a photo of what the fog light connector looks like please? Or is there another way to know it's the right one? I'll be doing this on my own at the weekend and I'd love to be sure that I have disconnected it properly before I end up with whole armfuls of bumper that are still connected. :)

Another fab thread covering exactly what I'm planning and I'm very grateful for. Do you @Pauly or anyone else have a photo of what the fog light connector looks like please? Or is there another way to know it's the right one? I'll be doing this on my own at the weekend and I'd love to be sure that I have disconnected it properly before I end up with whole armfuls of bumper that are still connected. :)
This is the OEM retrofit connector - will it be the same do you think?
Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 17.38.15.png

Just a little update to this thread, there is no need to remove the whole bumper. Just do one side at a time. I had to replace a broken headlight and just removed the trim clips on the top and the Torx screws and trim clip on one side of the inner arch and bottom of one side, then simply pulled that side of the bumper away. This gave me plenty of room to undo the two bolts on the front of the headlight. It is flexible enough to remain attached on the other side. After replacing the headlight I simply pushed the bumper back in place and reinstalled al the fixings. If you wanted too you could then do the same for the other headlight. Obviously doing it this way there is no problems trying to get the whole bumper back in place and you can do it by yourself without a helper.

Just like to add that the initial video and the walk through were excellent, I would like to thank the authors as it made life much easier for me to find the relevant fixings to undo and enable my replacing of the headlight. Sorry I did not take a photo of just one side detached but it can be done without any fear of damaging the bumper. It took me so little time that you could do it to replace the H4 bulbs that are tricky to do with the headlight in situ.

Really good and clear instructions, I am sure when I do this it will not be so straightforward!! :oops::oops: is the highline the same procedure ?

worth buying the proper trim tool, where can I get one please.
Top clips can be done carefully with screwdriver. Wheel well clips were destroyed on removal even with trim tool. Replaced then with more robust clips.

The above video by THQ is great and I followed it when doing the same job, but it's quite hard to have the video to hand at each step and so I forgot a step, so this is just a picture guide that you can use as you go along. Also, in spite of having a young van, these trim clips were a PITA, so this did not go as well as the video suggests:
View attachment 100909
Those trim clips are pants!
I replaced mine with the panel/roof lining clips of which I have a lot. Just need to drill the holes to fit 9mm I think! Maybe 8.5!

Just go to your nearest VW dealer or possibly try your local TPS (they may or may not serve you as supposed to be trade only )

Those 8mm clips are pants to remove, designed to self destruct. Is there a source for their replacement?

some advice needed. I have just tried to remove my bumper, model is Highline with fog lights. Followed the THQ video to the letter and the bumper does not simply pop away from the arch. Like a previous comment in this thread it seems to be that there are more less accessible fixings. Has anyone successfully removed a fog light style bumper without breaking anything, upsetting the neighbours, and falling out with their partner.

some advice needed. I have just tried to remove my bumper, model is Highline with fog lights. Followed the THQ video to the letter and the bumper does not simply pop away from the arch. Like a previous comment in this thread it seems to be that there are more less accessible fixings. Has anyone successfully removed a fog light style bumper without breaking anything, upsetting the neighbours, and falling out with their partner.
Have you pulled the plastic fixing which sits inside the bumper to wing. Only accessible once the top screw of arch liner to wing has been removed? Easy one to miss. Then there are some interference fit tabs to pull from.

Back