Grease Guns!

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Right gents....I've "adopted" a grease gun......lucky me I hear you say!! I'm not sure if it's working too well though? It seems to pump more grease out between the coupling and the grease nipple even though I push it against the nipple whilst I'm pumping.....if you get my drift (that sentence just sounds wrong on every level!!)? what am I doing wrong? Anyone got any tips for me.....are there any brands that anyone can recommend in case I decide to buy a new one? There's more to these things than I thought!!
Cheers!:thumbsup:

Normally if you have grease coming out of different places, it just means the joint you're greasing is full.

are you talking industrial grease guns? If so, Caterpillar (genuine) are the best. Any good finnings dealer sells them. They last for years and don't leak.

It maybe the gun needs a good cleaning around the coupling, or the nipple that you are trying to pump into maybe blocked?

Thanks gents. @Tourershine....I know what you're saying, but I've tried several.....I can't imagine they're all full. Some look they haven't seen grease for years!! @Pete C, I'll try remove one.....either that or I might try applying a bit of heat with my little Dremel blow lamp. Any ideas on good brands and a good all round multipurpose grease.....mainly for the trailer I use with my ride on mower but there are also grease nipples on the ride on and something sounds very dry on the cutters. :thumbsup:

Dried grease in the nipple will stop the little springy ball from allowing grease into the nipple. The hot water trick will soften and push out the grease.
If the grease pins have also got clogged up with crud it will prevent the grease progressing through the pin. Again remove clean and refit should correct.

Thanks @Bargy62.....the two wheels on my garden trailer have them and the ride on has them on the cutting deck pulleys.:thumbsup:

How far away are you @mopardave ?
I've got stacks of grease cartridges in my yard for my machines. Based 5 Mins from the trafford centre. Happy to donate a few. Its xmas after all dependant on where you reside o_O

Thanks @Bargy62.....the two wheels on my garden trailer have them and the ride on has them on the cutting deck pulleys.:thumbsup:
All those greasing points will be prone to getting covered in dust which drys the grease out
Make sure it goes in and starts seeping out the other side off the bearing

I don't know anything about grease guns but I really wish I had a ride on mower and trailer! #bigkid :D
@andys.....don't be too impressed #bigkid.....I don't ride around my country pile shooting trespassers in my dear stalker and plus fours. It came with the house I bought.....which has a small meadow attached. The guy I bought it from told me he'd been a mechanic.....well, I'll eat my hat if he was 'cos he obviously didn't believe in preventative maintenance.....he was more interested in keeping bees and growing spuds! I just want to keep this stuff running as long as I can....they're bloody expensive to replace!!!:thumbsup:

More than likely just need a new coupler on the end, i use a grease gun every day, in my experience the only thing that causes that problem is a worn 4 jaw coupler, once that's replaced, even if the grease nipple is seized solid, grease won't leave the gun, as you'll be hard pressed to even squeeze the handle.
if your not in a position to order one, let me know i'm sure I've got a spare in the van somewhere which i can send to you, cheap ones normally cost a pound or 2 at most.
s-l225.jpg

Back