Going Abroad - EHU advice needed

Hi guys
Going away in June for a month Switzerland and Italy, do i need to purchase any hook up adapters or will the end I use in the UK work, any links to what I need if I need it would be great

Cheers Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
As above, have two pin connector for most of European sites (and Aires) that have not fitted standard blue 16A sockets.

However you may find a socket type that is unique to Switzerland but I have found where these exist the site will lend you an adaptor.

In France you may find EHUs are remote from your pitch so long cables are a good idea. I have two 25m cables, and a three way adaptor (16A plug & 3 16A outlets) so that I can 'share' power connections. That seems to be frowned on here in the UK but common place in France.

Rod

As above, have two pin connector for most of European sites (and Aires) that have not fitted standard blue 16A sockets.

However you may find a socket type that is unique to Switzerland but I have found where these exist the site will lend you an adaptor.

In France you may find EHUs are remote from your pitch so long cables are a good idea. I have two 25m cables, and a three way adaptor (16A plug & 3 16A outlets) so that I can 'share' power connections. That seems to be frowned on here in the UK but common place in France.

Rod
Interesting about Switzerland, trust them to be different. Yes I find generally the further east you go, the more anything goes as regards to electrical safety. In Hungary I was at a site where so many splitters and adapters came off a single socket it looked like a mass of spaghetti :eek:

You don't have to go east, the French are often terrible as are the Spanish. I've seen one Aire in France where there was only a possibility of connecting into a screw terminal block for power!! That one has been improved now though thank goodness.

I also forgot to mention that in most European countries the polarity of live and neutral is often reversed. As they don't use switched sockets (our 'live' is always via the switch so can be the appliance can be assumed disconnected when switched off at the socket where theirs is only assumed 'dead' when the plug is out) and mostly I assume they use double insulated appliances this does not bother native users.

Rod

there was only a possibility of connecting into a screw terminal block for power!!

Sounds like Morocco! There are some great locations there but many lapse into disrepair and nothing gets fixed.

DSC03493.JPG

Agree with the above, long leads and a 2 pin adapter. We have also been on a couple of sites that insist you do a Live-Neutral polarity check with 2 pin European sockets. These have been where the connections are locked away and they come and connect you. A plug in polarity checker can be useful for this. This can be just one you put into your vans 13A socket assuming you have one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-783103-Socket-Tester-Diameter/dp/B000LFXIIK

Sounds like Morocco! There are some great locations there but many lapse into disrepair and nothing gets fixed.

View attachment 41942

Agree with the above, long leads and a 2 pin adapter. We have also been on a couple of sites that insist you do a Live-Neutral polarity check with 2 pin European sockets. These have been where the connections are locked away and they come and connect you. A plug in polarity checker can be useful for this. This can be just one you put into your vans 13A socket assuming you have one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-783103-Socket-Tester-Diameter/dp/B000LFXIIK
Yes I forgot about that, I have a little polarity checker that I keep permanently plugged into one socket and a polarity changing pigtail to put inbetween when necessary.

Having said that, all of this stuff is a great advert for a big solar panel and I don't take mains hookup kit with me any more :)

Thanks guys

How long does my hook up lead to be to be safe so that it reaches the electric point

Bugger. Just come across this.

Thought I was well prepared with a two pin continental plug, reverse polarity detector and adaptor lead.

Anyone know what connector the Swiss use and if it can be sourced quickly? Would be preferable to fashioning a solution with jump leads and some gaffer tape.

.....Just kidding. :whistle:

I have just travelled from France to Belgium to Holland to Denmark and have used only the standard UK adapter but now in Sweden and have had to use the two pin adapter.

I have just travelled from France to Belgium to Holland to Denmark and have used only the standard UK adapter but now in Sweden and have had to use the two pin adapter.
I’m currently in Portugal having driven down through Spain, used the 2pin adapter on most sites.

Having said that, all of this stuff is a great advert for a big solar panel and I don't take mains hookup kit with me any more :)
One thing I’ve noticed since getting the Bluetooth Victron solar controller, is that my solar panel is shutting down when it’s getting hot (currently in Portugal & it’s been Mid-30s during the afternoons) the panel voltage is dropping from typically 20v to 10-11V. As soon as it cools down or we get into semi shade, it comes back up & starts changing.

One thing I’ve noticed since getting the Bluetooth Victron solar controller, is that my solar panel is shutting down when it’s getting hot (currently in Portugal & it’s been Mid-30s during the afternoons) the panel voltage is dropping from typically 20v to 10-11V. As soon as it cools down or we get into semi shade, it comes back up & starts changing.

I guess it depends on the panel, mine had no problems like that even well into the 30s. The only issue I had was that I'd got a 75/10 and the 10A limit was proving a bottleneck for such a big panel. Got a 100/20 now and the output has rocketed.

Back