glow plug light on and stop start error-help please!

smithart

Hope someone can help with this please. The glow plug light and EML came on a couple of days ago and the stop start error message displayed too. I bought a carrista 11 after recommendations on here and ran the diagnostic. The error code I got back was 23902 and having looked that up it seems to describe the Diesel particle filter- but there's no DPF light coming on. Been doing short trips round town so took it for a blast down the dual carriageway at higher revs but the fault has not cleared. Can anyone help? :)

many thanks
Simon
VWT6 startline 2017 37000 miles. based in Poole Dorset

Could be dpf needs a forced regeneration, mine was a dpf pressure sensor changed under warranty by VW Assist. Do you have any warranty left?

On your Carista, go to the dpf regeneration screen and see what the soot level is currently?

41.86 It reads 'regeneration is probably a good idea at this soot level.' It recommends driving at 40 plus for 10-15 minutes at high revs but I have to accept certain risks. What do you think? Thanks.

Something has prohibited the "natural" DPF regeneration - normally it starts no later than at 30 (or 24) grams of accumulated soot
Low fuel warning on? Very short journeys recently - less than 15 mins?

I'm afraid it will be full stop at 50 grams - thus approx. 60-80 mins remaining without DPF regeneration.

If you can initiate the DPF regneration, it will now take approx. 60 minutes to finish. You must see soot level start diminishing in less than 15 mins, eventually reaching 10 grams or below.
My experience - about normal DPF regens - is that high revs do not expedite the process.

Go for a drive on the motorway and select a gear that keeps the revs above 2K but no need to speed, just select the right gear manually.
Select the start regeneration in the app and keep an eye on the soot level it should begin to drop once the engine is up to temperature.

woohoo! It worked! :)
Got the soot level down to 8.26 grams. The DPF light came on after starting the regeneration so I had three warning lights on. However after 25 minutes driving and the level of soot being below 9, I stopped and turned the engine off and on again. The only light then showing was the EML which I could clear by resettting in the carrista app.

Thanks so much for your help lads!

Just for info I had exactly the same issue a last week, same error message. Mine went into limp mode, but luckily I was only a half mile from home. After I stopped, locked, unlocked and re-started it was fine. Yesterday the van was in the local VW Van centre to have this checked out. When I picked it up I was told it had needed a software update. Paperwork confirmed new software 'may' increase usage of Add Blue, so VW have given me 8 free Add Blue top ups. No charge, as mine still in warranty.

A few months ago I took mine into the VW dealer with the EML lit up. They also said I needed the software update and like you, they offered free add blue top ups. I don't believe the software update has been a positive benefit. Fuel economy has worsened in my opinion.

Ok, thanks Simon, I'll keep an eye on. Sounds a bit of a legacy of 'dieselgate'. Two friends of mine, one with a Skoda Superb and one with a Golf told me of a drop in MPG after their update. Hope to get down to Dorzet when my van gets converted. Know it well as relatives in Wimborne.

Hey, I’m just having this to trouble with mine, engine management light & flashing glow plug light.
Had the exact same issue last September, guy who I have known a few years who does my MOTs had a look for me with the diagnostics machine, pointed to the DPF being blocked, despite the DPF light not actually being on the dash.
Neither active passive or manual regen would work.
The manual would start but then just stop after a few mins, being stumped He took it to another garage who he’d heard have dealt with this before.
He had it back from them the same day, all lights out, out of limp mode, he was told it was 89% clean. He didn’t get a receipt as I think they did it off the books a bit cheaper, I expect if I took it myself I’d have got a receipt but I’d have lace had to paid the full price, so I was happy for him to do it that way at the time, though didn’t have a detailed description of what was done or any guarantee. But light was off, van driving great , all good.
Anyway less than a year later same issue again. My mate came with diagnostic machine , won’t manually regen again & says blocked dpf. Admittedly I don’t use the van how it should be, I do regular shorter journeys & have a works vehicle & we have another car,so sometimes it’s not used through the week aside from a trip to local shop.
So maybe I can understand how it’s come to be blocked again, the thing I want to know though is why so little warning & why won’t it manually regen. The only time the DpF light came on was one evening when we was travelling home ,from somewhere local about 5 miles away, to give the baby his food & a bath, at which point it wasn’t an option to take it on the motorway to regen. Had planned on doing it the next day but when I started the morning after there was no warning light so thought I’d wait until the next time it came on. It never did & it’s blocked again now.
Sorry about the essay, I just would really like to know
1. How come the dpf light only came on that once briefly. (Surly for something as important as a blockage the dpf warning light should be ever present until it’s been regenerated)
2. Why it won’t regenerate manually.
3. Is it normal for it to block up again after 11 months.
4. Is it worth me buying a carista & try getting it to start regen whilst out on the motorway over 2k revs etc.
Thanks guys hope I’ve posted this in the right place, have read a few threads about oil pressure sensors & freyd cables etc also.

Hey, I’m just having this to trouble with mine, engine management light & flashing glow plug light.
Had the exact same issue last September, guy who I have known a few years who does my MOTs had a look for me with the diagnostics machine, pointed to the DPF being blocked, despite the DPF light not actually being on the dash.
Neither active passive or manual regen would work.
The manual would start but then just stop after a few mins, being stumped He took it to another garage who he’d heard have dealt with this before.
He had it back from them the same day, all lights out, out of limp mode, he was told it was 89% clean. He didn’t get a receipt as I think they did it off the books a bit cheaper, I expect if I took it myself I’d have got a receipt but I’d have lace had to paid the full price, so I was happy for him to do it that way at the time, though didn’t have a detailed description of what was done or any guarantee. But light was off, van driving great , all good.
Anyway less than a year later same issue again. My mate came with diagnostic machine , won’t manually regen again & says blocked dpf. Admittedly I don’t use the van how it should be, I do regular shorter journeys & have a works vehicle & we have another car,so sometimes it’s not used through the week aside from a trip to local shop.
So maybe I can understand how it’s come to be blocked again, the thing I want to know though is why so little warning & why won’t it manually regen. The only time the DpF light came on was one evening when we was travelling home ,from somewhere local about 5 miles away, to give the baby his food & a bath, at which point it wasn’t an option to take it on the motorway to regen. Had planned on doing it the next day but when I started the morning after there was no warning light so thought I’d wait until the next time it came on. It never did & it’s blocked again now.
Sorry about the essay, I just would really like to know
1. How come the dpf light only came on that once briefly. (Surly for something as important as a blockage the dpf warning light should be ever present until it’s been regenerated)
2. Why it won’t regenerate manually.
3. Is it normal for it to block up again after 11 months.
4. Is it worth me buying a carista & try getting it to start regen whilst out on the motorway over 2k revs etc.
Thanks guys hope I’ve posted this in the right place, have read a few threads about oil pressure sensors & freyd cables etc also.
It's possible that you have a faulty DPF differential pressure sensor and the ECU does not do a regen, and you are getting by with the passive regeneration as you drive but then getting a gradual build-up.
I had my DPF DPS replaced for a similar issue. It is an easy fix, you could just replace it for the cost of a new sensor.

It's possible that you have a faulty DPF differential pressure sensor and the ECU does not do a regen, and you are getting by with the passive regeneration as you drive but then getting a gradual build-up.
I had my DPF DPS replaced for a similar issue. It is an easy fix, you could just replace it for the cost of a new sensor.
That’s great, definitely something to try , thank you Loz , much appreciated, will give an update when done.

Hope someone can help with this please. The glow plug light and EML came on a couple of days ago and the stop start error message displayed too. I bought a carrista 11 after recommendations on here and ran the diagnostic. The error code I got back was 23902 and having looked that up it seems to describe the Diesel particle filter- but there's no DPF light coming on. Been doing short trips round town so took it for a blast down the dual carriageway at higher revs but the fault has not cleared. Can anyone help? :)

many thanks
Simon
VWT6 startline 2017 37000 miles. based in Poole Dorset
Hi Simon I am getting the same issue with coil light and start stop error - only when at a standstill. I've had EGR replaced twice and fed up to the back teeth with it. Did you get a resolution in the end? whenever i take mine to the garage the fault never shows up or seems logged.

Yes it was sorted by using the carrista app and doing at DPF regeneration. If you follow the thread above you will see the process but I followed this suggestion:
Go for a drive on the motorway and select a gear that keeps the revs above 2K but no need to speed, just select the right gear manually.
Select the start regeneration in the app and keep an eye on the soot level it should begin to drop once the engine is up to temperature.

I'm having the same issue coming up randomly. Although I have had the DPF removed and coded out. Could this still be throwing up an error ? No fault codes with a reader.

Back