Glovebox 'coolbox'

Andy Cody

T6 Pro
hello!

Our new little polo has a vent in the glovebox which feeds cold air from the air con and keeps stuff nice and cool. Having a look inside the T6 glovebox there appears to be a blank where this vent would be and interestingly when you remove the glovebox there's an outlet ready and waiting.
Does this come as standard on higher spec models? (Mine is only a trendline)

Ahh, interesting. Would you mind posting some photos Chris?
If you could get one behind the glovebox, that would be great too!

I thought the round blanking thingy might have been for a USB port, obviously not.

It is bigger! and flocked too!
I'm guessing it has something to do with the fan setup behind. Taking it out is an absolute doddle. Just a couple of torx screws at the top (when the lid is opened) and another one at the side (door side behind the trim)

Hi Andy , just some useless info , did the same on my combi, box out etc, went to dealer and they compared mine against caravel. The exploded parts diagrams show a small bent pipe at the top of page which is the pipe which connects to the vent inlet , but not showing connection to the other end and no obvious place to connect it. The size and shape of pipe in diagrams couldn't see where it would connect to the heating / cooling system. Still no answer so far.

Interesting. I wonder if the Caravel glove box would fit as a straight swap then. I'm guessing the pipe is only connected at one end (the heater end) and just sits against the back of the glove box when closed.

Interesting. I wonder if the Caravel glove box would fit as a straight swap then. I'm guessing the pipe is only connected at one end (the heater end) and just sits against the back of the glove box when closed.
My Touareg was the same it had a static plastic moulded pipe with with a foam ring that was compressed by the glove box when it closed.

I added cooling to the top cubby on the Touareg by drilling a 20mm hole in the side of one of the vent pipes that feed the dashboard, and ran a small length of convoluted tube into a similar hole in the cubby box.

IMG_3139.JPG IMG_3138.JPG IMG_3137.JPG IMG_3136.JPG IMG_3135.JPG IMG_3134.JPG IMG_3133.JPG

3 screws my arse, 7 screws on a Vel; that explains some of the price difference;). Yep foam doughnut on the glove box, meeting to a collar in the cool air distributer in the closed position.

HI Chris , above and beyond taking glove box out , did you notice where the hose went coming out of the top of the round vent hole. This the one I could find where it originated from.
Pleased to see you actually use the glove box as mine is used for display purposes only.

@chriscroft ,in your centre console does ,the bottle holder have cold air going to it .
I have just got the centre console and on the invoice it is called bottle holder/cooler .

I tried to trace it up, at first I wondered if it feed another chiller in the second glove box above, but there is no visible air outlet in their, So I assumed that it branches and feeds other outlets, or is being fed from them; but not sure; it is really packed in up there.
I wonder if Pauly has a schematic showing this element?

@chriscroft ,in your centre console does ,the bottle holder have cold air going to it .
I have just got the centre console and on the invoice it is called bottle holder/cooler .
Ohh you mean the wine cooler!!!, yep it also has the same little turn valve, so it could be the pipe feeding that.

Back