Gland to fit Tailgate hinge hole.

plumby101

Hiya. I'm in the process of fitting a solar panel to my pop-top roof.

Does anyone know an appropriate IP68 glad that will fit in the existing tailgate holes at the rear of the van?

1679994627857.png

Thanks

See above, @plumby101 - I knew I’d seen a similar post before!
Thanks for this. I actually already have the existing bungs in place. I'm looking for a waterproof glad that will allow me to feed a wire through the gap without letter water in. Maybe I just feed through and seal it up using a sealant?

Thanks for this. I actually already have the existing bungs in place. I'm looking for a waterproof glad that will allow me to feed a wire through the gap without letter water in. Maybe I just feed through and seal it up using a sealant?
Apologies I didn’t read it proper.

In that case, I’d make a circular hole and not one with straight edges (such as an X shaped cut) so the gland can form around the cable.

Depending on your skill set & available space I’d make something like a deck gland. Basically a flat plate that can be any shape to suit your application. Is has fixing holes in it to fix the plate to the surface that the cable is going to pass through. There is a hole for the cable to pass through that matches up with the hole in the surface that you’re passing the cable through (the grommet hole in this case. You then cut a piece of softish rubber the same shape as the clamp plate with the same hole pattern. You pass the cable through the clamp plate/rubber/grommet hole and drill the fixing holes into the surface & fix with self tappers. The clamp plate will compress the rubber around the cable & seal against the surface of the door frame. I’ve made a few in the past for different jobs. I’ve used anything from stainless plate to plastic sheet for the clamp plate & an old pair of wellies is a good source of rubber sheet for the seal.
It sounds a lot more buggeration than it is, it’s a simple principle & very effective.
….or you could just bung a load of Sika in there.
This is an example of a commercial one, I’m not suggesting you use the same one, it just shows the principle of operation. You’d make yours to suit.

Back