Gearbox backlash

Magpie1832

Model maker extraordinaire
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi guys. When driving past walls and I let of the accelerator and back on I get click or clunk. If I'm going slow in wrong gear I ratlles like hell. I've checked driveshafts. I've had them off and it seems there is a fair bit of gearbox backlash on the diff. How much is excessive on a t6. I know on normal cars it's normal to an extent as I see it all time at work.

Hi guys. When driving past walls and I let of the accelerator and back on I get click or clunk. If I'm going slow in wrong gear I ratlles like hell. I've checked driveshafts. I've had them off and it seems there is a fair bit of gearbox backlash on the diff. How much is excessive on a t6. I know on normal cars it's normal to an extent as I see it all time at work.
Mine dose this what gear box is yours

my 5speed box does the same.

coming on and off throttle can also cause the click/clunk
I can here mine do it if your next to a wall with windows down and get the same sort of noise over pot hole if not on gas mines a 6spd 140 only got 30k on it had Egr problem oil cooler leak power steering pump leaks lol

My 5 speed box does the same - a small click due to drivetrain slack when I come off the power sharply.
99% of the time I‘m not aware of it.
It did it when we got the van at 14,000 miles, and it’s exactly the same now at 30,000.

Pete

Another source for click type of sound is dual-mass flywheel centrifugal pendulums moving in their floating bearings - when coming on and off throttle - even gently.

T6 DMF on pp. 9-10 in

Mine isn't dmf. I had it on the ramp at work and when jacked up move one wheel back and forward you get gearbox backlash. Some cars/vans more than others due to wear. Mine has a fair.
A bad dmf usually vibrates and shakes the van to death.

Mine isn't dmf. I had it on the ramp at work and when jacked up move one wheel back and forward you get gearbox backlash. Some cars/vans more than others due to wear. Mine has a fair.
A bad dmf usually vibrates and shakes the van to death.
Do think big wheels make it worse

Just with them being a lot heavier then the original ones i wounded if it damages the gearboxes ect the 20s feel a lot heavier

It shouldn't make a difference really. Yes a 20" wheel has a different ratio for the speed but wouldn't cause it to have backlash. That is in the dif. I don't know if the vw box has weak dif bearings but it definitely has a lot of dif backlash.

did anyone get to the bottom of this issue as i am about to accidentally set mine on fire its driving me crazy i have spent a fortune trying to find the cause next thing im buying is a new gear box

Could also be the driveshaft splines.
5 speed boxes and drive shaft splines are a known weakness, better to investigate and repair than loose drive and be stranded.

Back