Gas Bottle In Kitchen Pod - Safety - For V5

Is there a cylinder size where an external vent becomes required? What then if you want a removable kitchen pod, one that can be locked into different positions in the back, or moved outside, perhaps using a screw in cylinder.....no different to carrying a portable stove/Cadac/Coleman I’d imagine?

Is there a cylinder size where an external vent becomes required? What then if you want a removable kitchen pod, one that can be locked into different positions in the back, or moved outside, perhaps using a screw in cylinder.....no different to carrying a portable stove/Cadac/Coleman I’d imagine?
As far as I am aware, if the van is for your own use and you don't intend hiring it out, there are no regulations that stipulate what you must do with gas in your van but there are standards/guidelines (BS EN 1949) and common sense.

I have no idea how the removable kitchen pods deal with this issue but there is no way I would have one and/or leave a gas bottle permanently connected unless there was ventilation to the outside below where the gas bottle is kept when the van is closed up. The self sealing, screw in cartridges (EN417 connection) are, in my opinion and experience, the worst offender as the most dangerous time for introducing leaks, etc., with any gas bottle and connections is at the point of changeover and, because of their size, you have to changeover more frequently (I had one of them leaking on me a few years ago) - I do carry a couple of these cartridges as back up to my onboard gas but they are always the last thing I put in the van and the first thing taken out on site and stored outside the van (though a fellow member recently pointed out to me that, if I can make room, I could safely store in the cupboard below my hob as that is equipped with a dropout vent!).

I've found a good summary of BS EN 1949 here:-
Gas bottles in Campervans and Motorhomes - Campervan Life

Update: just doing some further investigation to see if I am being overly paranoid about the small EN417 cartridges and I don't think so; the Coleman/Cadac gas cartridges I carry (which I know can leak) as spares hold 500g of gas - this is the equivalent of around 1/4 of a cubic metre and with a mixture of only around 5% gas to 95% air required before combustion is possible there would be more than enough in them to cause serious problems inside the confines of a closed up van.

Last edited:
it may be to do with if it is permanent or temporary - I don't think size matters!!! I agree with you on cooker .... but I want my camper ready to go at all times and therefore will be going with the drop vent to minimise risk etc. I think anyone who wants removal would be better of going with a portable stove etc as they wont have that problem.

I am sure someone on here will know a definitive answer and correct me - which is what it is all about - sharing knowledge etc. Thanks to all those who have commented and help with this thread.

As far as I am aware, if the van is for your own use and you don't intend hiring it out, there are no regulations that stipulate what you must do with gas in your van but there are standards/guidelines (BS EN 1949) and common sense.

I have no idea how the removable kitchen pods deal with this issue but there is no way I would have one and/or leave a gas bottle permanently connected unless there was ventilation to the outside below where the gas bottle is kept when the van is closed up. The self sealing, screw in cartridges (EN417 connection) are, in my opinion and experience, the worst offender as the most dangerous time for introducing leaks, etc., with any gas bottle and connections is at the point of changeover and, because of their size, you have to changeover more frequently (I had one of them leaking on me a few years ago) - I do carry a couple of these cartridges as back up to my onboard gas but they are always the last thing I put in the van and the first thing taken out on site and stored outside the van (though a fellow member recently pointed out to me that, if I can make room, I could safely store in the cupboard below my hob as that is equipped with a dropout vent!).

I've found a good summary of BS EN 1949 here:-
Gas bottles in Campervans and Motorhomes - Campervan Life

Update: just doing some further investigation to see if I am being overly paranoid about the small EN417 cartridges and I don't think so; the Coleman/Cadac gas cartridges I carry (which I know can leak) as spares hold 500g of gas - this is the equivalent of around 1/4 of a cubic metre and with a mixture of only around 5% gas to 95% air required before combustion is possible there would be more than enough in them to cause serious problems inside the confines of a closed up van.
Wow @Davenjo thanks for such a comprehensive answer and a reminder of what we are dealing with .... really great everyone shares and thanks ... I know what I will be doing!

So, if you have a built in cooker, as in a “conventional “ camper, then it makes absolute sense regarding vents etc, as most will use larger cylinders for a number of reasons.

However, those favouring cooking outside with portable Cadac/Coleman/Cadac style units with the larger or indeed smaller cylinders presumably need to use common sense when transporting these disconnected and “loose” in respect of securely tied down, capped etc.

The use of warning stickers is a great idea for us non commercial types too. Anyone know where these can be obtained with suckers....easily removed when not carrying gas on board?

Thanks for all the informed advice.

So, if you have a built in cooker, as in a “conventional “ camper, then it makes absolute sense regarding vents etc, as most will use larger cylinders for a number of reasons.

However, those favouring cooking outside with portable Cadac/Coleman/Cadac style units with the larger or indeed smaller cylinders presumably need to use common sense when transporting these disconnected and “loose” in respect of securely tied down, capped etc.

The use of warning stickers is a great idea for us non commercial types too. Anyone know where these can be obtained with suckers....easily removed when not carrying gas on board?

Thanks for all the informed advice.
I agree with you @Vinci common sense works in most situations. As mentioned I intend to keep my gas bottle connected in my van (switched off) for the quick getaway! SO drop vent is the plan!

Hi just came across this. Does the orange pipe pass through the gas locker or does it connect to a fixture with a copper pipe on the other side?
The flexible orange pipe goes from the regulator on the bottle to a fitting fixed through the side of the gas locker and copper pipe goes from there to the hob.

On my own van, I’m looking at balance of risks on dropout vents. Gas bottle compartment (2x500ml Cadac) then yes. Under the hob, to protect the low pressure joint, this would put the vent in range of the diesel heater exhaust pumping out lethal gas every night.

The flexible orange pipe goes from the regulator on the bottle to a fitting fixed through the side of the gas locker and copper pipe goes from there to the hob.
Ah ok cool. Does the copper pipe have any other joints along the way? I'm working out how best to set mine up but wasn't sure about joints in areas where there are electrics incase of any leaks down the line.

Ah ok cool. Does the copper pipe have any other joints along the way? I'm working out how best to set mine up but wasn't sure about joints in areas where there are electrics incase of any leaks down the line.
The regs for a fixed installation state that you should use a bulkhead regulator which is fitted inside your gas locker. Copper pipe runs from that reg through a small hole in the locker to your appliance. This pipe should be bent not joined. There should be a drop out vent under every joint.
You then have a pigtail rubber pipe from the gas bottle to the regulator - I think the max length for that is 50cm.
This is from memory when I got the regs prior to doing my conversion.
None of this is compulsory for a private conversion though.
Mine is done as above but the bottle, pigtail and regulator are in a compartment where the rear is open so it can be accessed when I open my twin sliding door.
This also enables me to store an opened 500g cylinder for my cadac inside the gas box so it has the safety of the dropout vent rather than being left inside the main living area.
There’s also regs in relation to placement of the drop vent with regard to heat sources (exhaust, diesel heater etc). I think that is why many pro conversions put the gas locker in the rear cupboard.

The copper pipe is in one length to the hob, I didn't use a bulkhead mounted regulator because there isn't enough room in the gas locker to mount one. I'm happy with the safety of the install. The gas locker is steel and the lid is sealed when closed, any leaks will exit via the drop out vent, I keep the bottle valve closed when driving or while I'm away from the van.

The copper pipe is in one length to the hob, I didn't use a bulkhead mounted regulator because there isn't enough room in the gas locker to mount one. I'm happy with the safety of the install. The gas locker is steel and the lid is sealed when closed, any leaks will exit via the drop out vent, I keep the bottle valve closed when driving or while I'm away from the van.
As has been mentioned many times in this thread it’s a lot of common sense and personal choice. Mine isn’t in a secure gas locker so I'm way off the mark, but it’s all about minimising risk. I always turn my gas cylinder off when not in use too just as an extra precaution. Sounds like you’ve got it covered mate.

Back