Gas Bottle In Kitchen Pod - Safety - For V5

Whiz

Meet BANKSY - There is always "Hope"
T6 Guru
Just installed the kitchen pod and strapped in the Gas bottle - see photos.

Trying to establish if the GAS BOTTLE must be "boxed in" as well as the straps etc. that lock it in tight i.e. for additional safety AND getting the V5 changed over when conversion completed.

20180514_093423.jpg

It doesn't need to be boxed in just secured. However it'll need a floor vent in the cabinet it's store in and any cabinet where there's a joint in the gas pipe, including where it connects to the hob.

It doesn't need to be boxed in just secured. However it'll need a floor vent in the cabinet it's store in and any cabinet where there's a joint in the gas pipe, including where it connects to the hob.
Wills, excellent news. The straps are velcro strips and a small plinth skirting around the bottom (See photo) I hope this is clear in the photo .... do you reckon this will suffice for V5 etc?
On the gas floor vent, I have seen some posts about using a battery gas detector alarm (similar to fire alarm) as an alternative to a Floor vent - any thoughts? I have to say Alarm is my preferred option

Many thanks again for quick reply, cheers.

Wills, excellent news. The straps are velcro strips and a small plinth skirting around the bottom (See photo) I hope this is clear in the photo .... do you reckon this will suffice for V5 etc?
On the gas floor vent, I have seen some posts about using a battery gas detector alarm (similar to fire alarm) as an alternative to a Floor vent - any thoughts? I have to say Alarm is my preferred option

Many thanks again for quick reply, cheers.
Alarm will only be of use if you are with the van - without drop out vents, in the event of failure, the unoccupied van could end up filling to an explosive mixture and the first you would be aware is when you open the door and the van goes boom! Sorry if this sounds over dramatic but explosions can and do happen.

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry...-after-gas-cylinder-explosion-rips-van-apart/

Alarm will only be of use if you are with the van - without drop out vents, in the event of failure, the unoccupied van could end up filling to an explosive mixture and the first you would be aware is when you open the door and the van goes boom! Sorry if this sounds over dramatic but explosions can and do happen.

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry...-after-gas-cylinder-explosion-rips-van-apart/
Makes perfect sense now! Thanks for this and the link .... as I want to keep the van "ready to go" a drop vent it is!!!! Cheers all for such replies - @Davenjo & @Wills .

This site is the business when it comes to advice well done all @T6 especially the Admin team ... worth every penny of membership!

No probs. Looking at the space you have available around the 907 bottle I'd suggest you look at getting something a bit bigger such as a 6kg Calor propane or 5kg Calor Patio Gas (also propane) - it will save you a fortune in the long run and, being propane, will be more usable in the colder months. I am stuck with a 907 but, if designing myself, I would opt for a bigger gas cabinet and/or look at an underslung propex tank.

I was a bit concerned coming down from two 13kg propanes to a single 907, its early days yet but I just remind myself its a campervan and for me the convenience of a small van outweighs the 907 costs. I've no oven so its never drawing gas for long periods, just a few minutes at a time :)
It does look as if at least a 3.9/4.5kg would fit yours comfortably, as Dave says, much more economical

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a bit concerned coming down from two 13kg propanes to a single 907, its early days yet but I just remind myself its a campervan and for me the convenience of a small van outweighs the 907 costs. I've no oven so its never drawing gas for long periods, just a few minutes at a time :)
I got through 5 x 907 refills last year. Use the van supply for all cooking, mainly via external gas point to Cadac.

No probs. Looking at the space you have available around the 907 bottle I'd suggest you look at getting something a bit bigger such as a 6kg Calor propane or 5kg Calor Patio Gas (also propane) - it will save you a fortune in the long run and, being propane, will be more usable in the colder months. I am stuck with a 907 but, if designing myself, I would opt for a bigger gas cabinet and/or look at an underslung propex tank.
Thanks for that .... understand on the cold weather and the bigger gas bottle. I am going to use this bottle - was given a full one so it will last a few trips then update, so anything in the cupboard will be adjustable for that in mind.
I got through 5 x 907 refills last year. Use the van supply for all cooking, mainly via external gas point to Cadac.
Thanks @Phil_G .... we only go away for weekends etc and the convenience is a big thing. Boil the kettle, heat the soup, fry the bacon - will review end of summer! Thanks again btw - nice bike!!!

You have plenty of room to decide later - unfortunately I have a hot water heater directly above my gas locker so no easy option to squeeze a slightly bigger bottle in without some major rework which I’m no prepared to do.

I have made a simple Ali lined box in my cooker pod and added a drop out hole which should have fly screen in it. The pipe as it exists outside is also cut at an angle to cause a negative pressure to suck out any gas when moving.

I have a steel gas locker that takes a 907 cylinder it has a drop-out vent through the floor of the van. You could fit one of these in your kitchen pod if you wanted
Is the drop vent below the gas cylinder? Or somewhere else?

I am aiming to minimise what is inside the K. Pod and as I understand from the guys on here ... don't need to encase it further. But that is really neat! Just need to finalise position of drop vent.

View attachment 22366
I have made a simple Ali lined box in my cooker pod and added a drop out hole which should have fly screen in it. The pipe as it exists outside is also cut at an angle to cause a negative pressure to suck out any gas when moving.
Is it poss to get a photo or two ... when you have a moment place?

As has been mentioned, having an alarm should be in addition to the dropout vents, not instead of. Having said that, your original question was about the requirements for reregistering as a campervan and neither has any bearing on that as far as I'm aware.

I currently have my bottle in the cabinets and no drop out vent. I have a trio alarm and I turn the gas off at the bottle when not in use. Each to their own but I don’t see the point of a drop out valve if you turn off at the bottle.

Having said all of that I’ve already installed an underslung lpg tank and when I plumb it in this year the cabinet bottle will be gone. I’ve also purchased an auto cut off solenoid so that the gas can only flow when there is power to the solenoid

I currently have my bottle in the cabinets and no drop out vent. I have a trio alarm and I turn the gas off at the bottle when not in use. Each to their own but I don’t see the point of a drop out valve if you turn off at the bottle.

Having said all of that I’ve already installed an underslung lpg tank and when I plumb it in this year the cabinet bottle will be gone. I’ve also purchased an auto cut off solenoid so that the gas can only flow when there is power to the solenoid
It would be extra protection if your regulator developed a leak

Fair point andys. I may still look at fitting one even with the underslung tank installed just in case the connection at the cooker leaks for whatever reason. Would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it

I too always turn my bottle off when not in use for extended periods/travellling. Bottles can leak and regulators and/or valves can fail.

Definitely look at dropouts in all cabinets with gas connections.

As has been mentioned, having an alarm should be in addition to the dropout vents, not instead of. Having said that, your original question was about the requirements for reregistering as a campervan and neither has any bearing on that as far as I'm aware.
Thanks @andys ... I won't be taking any risks ... drop vent will be installed in next few days

I too always turn my bottle off when not in use for extended periods/travellling. Bottles can leak and regulators and/or valves can fail.

Definitely look at dropouts in all cabinets with gas connections.
Can it go directly underneath the fax bottle or does it need to be to one side?

Back