Garage heater

This is my set up. Biggest improvement was sticking 1” kingspan on the garage doors and insulating the garage loft. Garage is 28 sq m and rarely drops into single figures (degrees C)

View attachment 94060
My garage isn't next to the house unfortunately so radiators aren't an option. I was going to say that insulating the garage doors wouldn't work either as they're sectional, but on looking closer I realise I could fit pieces of 1" thick in each section without affecting the working of the doors, so that's something I may look at. Insulating the loft attic is not going to happen though, there is so much stuff stored up there it would take me til summer to get it done, plus it's not properly boarded, it's mainly old doors with gaps inbetween. Think I'm just going to have to keep heating it while I'm in there and forget about the losses.

Unless you’re going to leave the heating on you may well find it takes longer to warm the garage than you are going to be there.
I use more layers of clothes.
You must be joking, I'm often in there for hours at a time. I've tried the extra layers but my hands get too cold to move properly and I can't work in gloves unless I'm not working with anything small.
I've ordered one of the chinese diesel heaters so lets see how that works out.

My garage isn't next to the house unfortunately so radiators aren't an option. I was going to say that insulating the garage doors wouldn't work either as they're sectional, but on looking closer I realise I could fit pieces of 1" thick in each section without affecting the working of the doors, so that's something I may look at. Insulating the loft attic is not going to happen though, there is so much stuff stored up there it would take me til summer to get it done, plus it's not properly boarded, it's mainly old doors with gaps inbetween. Think I'm just going to have to keep heating it while I'm in there and forget about the losses.

You must be joking, I'm often in there for hours at a time. I've tried the extra layers but my hands get too cold to move properly and I can't work in gloves unless I'm not working with anything small.
I've ordered one of the chinese diesel heaters so lets see how that works out.
In Norway primary school kids are taught that bad weather isn’t a problem, the wrong clothes are the problem.
We managed to work outside in minus 23 deg C for hours at a time over a 12 hour shift, I can’t say it was pleasant but it wasn’t uncomfortable.
I guess the Diesel heater is the best way for shorts and flip flop mode, even cheaper if you have domestic heating oil.

We used those space heaters that are advertised on the machine mart website. They were used to dry out hill kit when I was on Mountain Rescue. They were loud, but they kicked out some heat!

In Norway primary school kids are taught that bad weather isn’t a problem, the wrong clothes are the problem.
We managed to work outside in minus 23 deg C for hours at a time over a 12 hour shift, I can’t say it was pleasant but it wasn’t uncomfortable.
I guess the Diesel heater is the best way for shorts and flip flop mode, even cheaper if you have domestic heating oil.
Haha I think every nation I’ve ever been to has claimed to have come up with that one!

Yesterday I ordered a £97 8 Kw diesel heater at 4 pm and today at 7 am it was delivered. I’ve installed it in my garage taking the exhaust and air intake pipework through the external wall so no problems with petrol fumes from my 2 bikes being drawn in to the air intake. It was really easy to install I just had to raise the heater so the pipework was high enough above ground level, syphoned 5 litres of diesel from my Transporter and the heater fired up first time so now it’s really cosy to work in my garage.
John.

AC6374B3-C4B4-4E5D-BAA1-38166904D097.jpeg

Yesterday I ordered a £97 8 Kw diesel heater at 4 pm and today at 7 am it was delivered. I’ve installed it in my garage taking the exhaust and air intake pipework through the external wall so no problems with petrol fumes from my 2 bikes being drawn in to the air intake. It was really easy to install I just had to raise the heater so the pipework was high enough above ground level, syphoned 5 litres of diesel from my Transporter and the heater fired up first time so now it’s really cosy to work in my garage.
John.

View attachment 139460
Have you a link to the item please bud?

I changed our garage doors from standard ones to insulated ones by teckentrup. Not cheap but amazing at keeping all the drafts out and keeping any residual heat in. Rarely even use any heater at all now

Just had a Chinese one delivered from ebay that says 8kw...it also says on the instructions that it "does nice heat warm fast'
Love em!!

Hi @Dannyb6467 when I fitted mine through the garage wall my exhaust and air intake were side by side and the air intake could draw exhaust fumes in which could cause incomplete combustion, so what I did was bend a piece of 22mm copper pipe and fitted it to the end of the stainless exhaust pipe and put the silencer on the end of the copper pipe.

John

Reactions: JOG
Hi @Dannyb6467 when I fitted mine through the garage wall my exhaust and air intake were side by side and the air intake could draw exhaust fumes in which could cause incomplete combustion, so what I did was bend a piece of 22mm copper pipe and fitted it to the end of the stainless exhaust pipe and put the silencer on the end of the copper pipe.

John
Cheers John, funnily enough my neighbour has done the same....I'm planning to run it externally outside the van but duct the hot air hose into the van. The van is leased so it's only set up as a day van and so the bed etc is temporary....for 4 years!! As long as it isn't too noisy, which my neighbours isn't.
Anyone else doing this??

Cheers John, funnily enough my neighbour has done the same....I'm planning to run it externally outside the van but duct the hot air hose into the van. The van is leased so it's only set up as a day van and so the bed etc is temporary....for 4 years!! As long as it isn't too noisy, which my neighbours isn't.
Anyone else doing this??
Sorry Danny I’m at cross purposes I thought you were putting a heater in your garage not your van so you should have enough stainless exhaust and air intake with your kit.
John.

I must be getting old, I'm finding it bloody freezing working in the garage and it hasn't even started to get cold yet. Got loads to do over the next few weeks and I'm finding I'm putting off doing stuff or calling it a day earlier because it's uncomfortable working.

I've got a little 2kW fan heater in there but it barely makes a dent and I can't use the diesel heater of the van to warm the garage, or get one of those propane space heaters cos I want to keep the door shut. What does anyone else do, or do I just need to man up?
This is my setup. 5kw Diesel heater warms the place up the fastest but I maintain the temp with this cheep heat pump I got from Electriq. The claim 2.35 kW Heating using just 0.75kW power but I have no way of confirming that. On really cold days I use both. It is half way up the wall as my garage is dug into a slope and that is ground level.

image.jpg

Sorry Danny I’m at cross purposes I thought you were putting a heater in your garage not your van so you should have enough stainless exhaust and air intake with your kit.
John.
No worries John, I'll use it in the garage too, hence another reason not to have a permanent fixed heater in the van.

Back