Garage heater

andys

Ex member
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I must be getting old, I'm finding it bloody freezing working in the garage and it hasn't even started to get cold yet. Got loads to do over the next few weeks and I'm finding I'm putting off doing stuff or calling it a day earlier because it's uncomfortable working.

I've got a little 2kW fan heater in there but it barely makes a dent and I can't use the diesel heater of the van to warm the garage, or get one of those propane space heaters cos I want to keep the door shut. What does anyone else do, or do I just need to man up?

I have one of the cheap all in one Chinese diesel heater combos had it 3 years and it’s all piped through the wall to outside and it’s never missed a beat and runs on very little fuel. It’s a 5 kw one.

I run a 7Kw Webasto in my workshop, easy enough to run the two pipes to the exterior. Been in use for 12/13 years or so with nil maintenance needed. You could nearly toast your marshmallows on its output.:)

I have one of the cheap all in one Chinese diesel heater combos had it 3 years and it’s all piped through the wall to outside and it’s never missed a beat and runs on very little fuel. It’s a 5 kw one.
It did cross my mind. I'd have to rejig things because the only clear wall at the moment would point the exhaust onto my neighbours drive but I'll look into that, thanks :thumbsup:

I run a 7Kw Webasto in my workshop, easy enough to run the two pipes to the exterior. Been in use for 12/13 years or so with nil maintenance needed. You could nearly toast your marshmallows on its output.:)
How long could the exhaust and intake be from the outside? I'd probably need to run them along one wall to get to the outside facing one.

When I had my garage workshop I used one of these so I could work in comfort, and boy does this kick out some heat. Usually after about 15 minutes I had to turn it off. I also put a CO detector above it just in case but the display on it never showed any trace of monoxide. Obviously being gas, it did make cold metal surfaces condensate until they had warmed up and then it wasn’t a problem. Trouble is I got through 19kg gas bottles like no tomorrow, at two a month but I was working in there for quite a while at a time.
Bullfinch 1400 Propane Gas Space Heater

Coincidentally i have been looking into this myself today, i am in the market for a garage heater now and a decent gas BBQ in the new year so ideally looking for something that will run off the same fuel source, based on size of my garage i was looking at something like this for occasional use ??

s-l1600.jpg

This is my set up. Biggest improvement was sticking 1” kingspan on the garage doors and insulating the garage loft. Garage is 28 sq m and rarely drops into single figures (degrees C)

7742DBF6-CC6E-4248-9C52-B9F85DE8BE5C.jpeg

Don't the propane heaters kick out loads of moisture as well as heat?
Yes - products of combustion are water vapour and CO2. Anything not burning correctly (cookers, fires, BBQs etc) then also CO, carbon monoxide which kills!

Unless you’re going to leave the heating on you may well find it takes longer to warm the garage than you are going to be there.
I use more layers of clothes.

I used one of the cannon heaters thats runs on nearly everything. It was used to heat a 50m² garage and it works wonders but makes noise. Personally if a normal size garage I would look at one of the chinese diesel heaters.

Back