Diesel heater

R8N XX

Shadow1
VIP Member
T6 Guru
So I am getting a diesel heater fitted this Friday.
Question is do I go 2 or 4kw.
I have a LWB kombi

I am sure a 2kw will be just fine.
What’s your thoughts.

Thanks.

I had to swap out a 5kW diesel heater as it was too hot on even the lowest setting. This was when night temp was ~3°C.

It depends upon how you intend to use it - I have fitted a Webasto Air Top Evo 40 4 Kw to my LWB high top van. BUT I use a heater for rapid heating of the van after being out with the dogs and for rapid defrosting in the frosty mornings and never use the heater for overnight heating ( that is what bedding is for ). As I have a workshop with a couple of dozen heaters in ranging from 2Kw to 5.5Kw I can swap a different one in or out as I wish.
If you are intending to use it as overnight background heating the 2Kw is the one to go for.

A 2Kw Webasto will run at 0.9Kw at lowest output and a 4Kw will run at 1.5Kw at lowest output so you have to take this into consideration also if you want to run overnight continuously.

A 5 or 5.5Kw heater is far too powerful for all T6 vans unless your useage is Northern Finland in the winter months!

OEM fitment to T4/T5/T6 vans was a 3.5Kw heater - the closest to this heater was the Webasto Air Top Evo 3900 3.9Kw heater which superseded the 3.5Kw ST model. The 3900 ran at 3.5 Kw if boost for the extra 400W was not fitted.

Is the van insulated, if so 2Kw is more than enough. I have a 1.6Kw Wallas XC Duo and it is always on minimum thermostat setting.

The factory fit eberspacher is 3kw, that doesn't help really does it! :rofl:

1000004052.jpg
On full power it's stupid warm, I've not used it overnight yet but I reckon lvl 3 or 4 will be fine, full power for 20 minutes defrosts the whole van very well.

Reactions: CAB
It depends upon how you intend to use it - I have fitted a Webasto Air Top Evo 40 4 Kw to my LWB high top van. BUT I use a heater for rapid heating of the van after being out with the dogs and for rapid defrosting in the frosty mornings and never use the heater for overnight heating ( that is what bedding is for ). As I have a workshop with a couple of dozen heaters in ranging from 2Kw to 5.5Kw I can swap a different one in or out as I wish.
If you are intending to use it as overnight background heating the 2Kw is the one to go for.

A 2Kw Webasto will run at 0.9Kw at lowest output and a 4Kw will run at 1.5Kw at lowest output so you have to take this into consideration also if you want to run overnight continuously.

A 5 or 5.5Kw heater is far too powerful for all T6 vans unless your useage is Northern Finland in the winter months!

OEM fitment to T4/T5/T6 vans was a 3.5Kw heater - the closest to this heater was the Webasto Air Top Evo 3900 3.9Kw heater which superseded the 3.5Kw ST model. The 3900 ran at 3.5 Kw if boost for the extra 400W was not fitted.
IMG_2798.jpeg
That reminded me of how brilliant you were in Derry Girls… ;)

Last edited:
I have a 2kw S2 D2L in a uninsulated van, and it has been great over winter, mainly used for defrosting and sitting in after walks, bike rides or for a picnic with the family etc.

I went for OEM intake on the drivers step and OEM outlet on the B pillar, controversially with the vents upside down blowing up and into the van.

I also have the control's in the front, as it's just used as a Kombi.

I have a brand new factory for 3kw sat in my garage, but changed my mind and went 2Kw so far no regrets.

IMG_0044.jpg

I got to say in our Camperking the heater is good but I don’t think I would call it a sauna level ? I am a very prone to the cold but trying to adapt to van life, I don’t know what Kw the heater we have but I guess as our insulation is minimum maybe it’s not sufficient for someone like me? My wife by the way is the complete opposite she finds the van roasting even if there’s ice forming on the windows !

Back