Future Of Diesel Engines.

If we had let nature do what nature wanted to by thinning out the population with covid, the balance of sustainability would have sorted itself out. Just look at how well the planet did during the first proper lockdown. But what did we as humans do? Thought we knew best and fought it. Now we are back to square one.

If we had let nature do what nature wanted to by thinning out the population with covid, the balance of sustainability would have sorted itself out. Just look at how well the planet did during the first proper lockdown. But what did we as humans do? Thought we knew best and fought it. Now we are back to square one.
I’m guilty, before lockdown I was drinking myself to death now I’ve pretty much given up.
Going to take up base jumping to make up for it.

Absolutely. I’ve yet to hear any environmental campaigner state that the only reason for the world’s problems is over population by us humans. Too many people consuming too many resources & producing too much waste. How hard can it be? We’ve got targets to cut this & that by 20xx, not one of them has said “let’s reduce the human population by 20xx”

interesting...

interesting...

Developed just down the road from me and I find out about it here!
I’ve said before that exchanging cassettes has to be preferable to charging. If you take a look at the worlds known lithium deposits it’s fairly clear that Chile and Australia have the rest of us over a barrel when it comes to pricing

interesting...

Brilliant…. very interesting reading! I’m sure we all know deep down that the current big battery electric vehicles are unsustainable really.

What about HGV’s and agricultural tractors??

Well, I plan to retire in 18 months.

My T6 will be sold and I‘m considering leasing a small EV as it’s replacement AND keeping the misses petrol car for long journeys

ls it safe to buy a diesel van now? l don't want to spend £40,000 on a T6.1 only to have it taxed off the road after five years, as the Manchester LEZ is about to do on any van registered before 2015.

Obviously the Transporter isn't available with a petrol engine, and the EV version is currently not a contender.

It's new sales from 2030 the Gov are trying to phase out.

They won't just stop selling Diesel in 2030 ..... Think of all the HGVs that will need derv.

So buy now and have 8yrs of happy T6 ownership before even worrying about what might happen.

I did see something the other day about a main building site company moving it's HGV Plant over to Veg oil by 2025?

I suppose a Derv engine will run on chip oil or other once it's treated (though VWcv advise against it) ...... Don't suppose it will help emmisions much.

ATM there is No viable alternative to long range HGV or commercial vans.... So diesel will stay for the time being.

My assumption will be that the GOV will just raise taxes related to diesel and petrol cars in the future.

I did see something the other day about a main building site company moving it's HGV Plant over to Veg oil by 2025?

I suppose a Derv engine will run on chip oil or other once it's treated (though VWcv advise against it) ...... Don't suppose it will help emmisions much.

ATM there is No viable alternative to long range HGV or commercial vans.... So diesel will stay for the time being.

My assumption will be that the GOV will just raise taxes related to diesel and petrol cars in the future.
When corn oil was cheap, and it was allowed under HMRC rules, I used to run Mrs Spaghetti’s car on corn oil. Ran perfectly well.

I used to run a Toyota Hilux on veg oil. Had it converted, so it started on diesel, then when warm, switched to veg oil. It ran a heat exchanger so warmed up the oil to piss it out a bit.
Lots of people said it would never work on a common rail, but it did.
Its not illegal to do, so long as you don`t go over a certain limit. Or it used to be that anyway.
Lots of old stuff will run on a 50/50 mix easily still, but I think veg oil and derv are probably similar money now.

I wouldn't worry, I can't see the infrastructure being in place for everyone to go electric for several decades yet.
Come 2029 they'll just move the deadline on another 5 years and repeat.

I wouldn't worry, I can't see the infrastructure being in place for everyone to go electric for several decades yet.
Just like they did with gas boilers......

I agree that this is likely, however, I think car manufacturers are already making strategy decisions about ICE car productions. I can see the deadline being bumped and shortage of vehicles.

Diesel is used in farming, heavy haulage and shipping - I’ve not seen the electric solutions for those yet! Also aviation and home heating other high fossil fuel demands.

I also read recently the Russia actually want the planet to rise by a few degrees as it will make more of their country viable for human use.

Back