Future Of Diesel Engines.

joe_j_barnes

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi All,

I have a 2017 DSG 204 TDI SWB eu6

I have bought to convert and will be starting next year, and plan to keep it until for good after spending some considerable amount of £s

With all the hype on emissions I can’t help but think in 10 years or so would it be worthless and unusable for trips both here and Europe??

Thoughts?

im fairly sure the good old EU6 Derv engine will be still kicking in 10 or even 20 years.

Eu6 is the current standard . . . . theres bound to be a EU7 at some point . . . .

European emission standards - Wikipedia

This country is just not ready for full electric yet, . . . . i wouldn't worry. . . . . . (im not lol)

Hi All,

I have a 2017 DSG 204 TDI SWB eu6

I have bought to convert and will be starting next year, and plan to keep it until for good after spending some considerable amount of £s

With all the hype on emissions I can’t help but think in 10 years or so would it be worthless and unusable for trips both here and Europe??

Thoughts?

I had the same thoughts when buying a Euro 5 and converting, worst case scenario we’ll have some pretty well kitted out garden sheds in 10 years time.

10 yrs I reckon Euro 6 ok, Euro 5 very limited. 15yrs Eu6 very limited, Eu5 banned. But the same will go for petrol.
Among all this clamour for electric cars everywhere tomorrow, it’s just not practical short term and requires huge investment in power generation and distribution. What will prob happen though in 10yrs is large no entry zones for all ICE vehicles in every town and city, probably with park and ride the norm.

Sure I saw recently that BMW are still committed to diesel for the foreseeable, due to insufficient infrastructure being in place to support a full scale shift to EV's. Natural attrition would be a sensible approach to diesel. A little at a time. Anyway, those naughty engineers / management at VW have a lot to answer for.

What's the betting 150kw super chargers will start appearing as EHUs in camping sites and we'll have induction hobs and electric showers in or on our vans... oh and fees will be an extra £30 per night!

You've got a few more years of diesel action yet but start sweating when you see electric HGVs appear on the motorways... not locally as multi drop vans but nationally on trunk routes.

You may see a wider roll out of City’s with ULEZ, which I think is inevitable. However, personally I never bought my van for driving to and around cities, a camper is for going out and enjoying the countryside isn’t it? Gonna be a problem for the small and medium business man who need to drive in to such areas to satisfy their customers needs.
But as others say above, hydrocarbon powered vehicles will be around for a long time yet, diesel HGV’s - will be a long time before the battery tech and charging infrastructure makes it appropriate for hauliers.

If everything goes electric someone will want to make money from making a electric conversion kit . It cannot be to hard to pull out a VW engine and drop in a motor . It could be worth the money on a top end camper converted van.

If everything goes electric someone will want to make money from making a electric conversion kit . It cannot be to hard to pull out a VW engine and drop in a motor . It could be worth the money on a top end camper converted van.
My thoughts too.

Am sure by then we can replace diesels with a kit, you think and look at 20yr old VW campers still around now being used that’s where I see mine in the future still being used to go away in, but small fear of it’s not worth the cost of charges passing city’s on the way creeps in on you.

This is exactly true.

We call them, 'engines', the manufactures call the, 'power units'.

Just as people milled hardened valve seats into the old heads of leaded fuel cars, the same engenuity will be applied to the problem of perfectly usable vehicles needing a new power source to propel them.

Theres a lot of space in the engine bay of a transporter when you remove the motor and gearbox.

Have a look at EMOS in Holland, the minibus on their site is built in the UK, I did some work on that prototype. It is based on a Fiat Ducato, the engine and gearbox are removed and a surprisingly small motor and differential unit fitted, the control system fills most of the 'engine ' bay.

Drivetrains are already viable in most vehicle types, what isn’t is the massive extra capacity in the generation and distribution of the power needed to charge millions of extra batteries

It’s all very well politicians suggesting they want to ban petrol and diesel cars / vans but what about all the bad emissions from all the new production and producing electricity?

A better start would to have legislation to curb gas guzzling vehicles .......Chelsea tractors to start with ..

I'm not sure PHEV or PEV are the answer for some of T7 uses. Ok for city deliveries, but..
It needs to be FCEV - Fuel Cell Electic Vehicles. If you want a longer range with a heavier vehicle.

I think commercial vehicles will be given far more latitude than regular cars, when it come to emissions for the foreseeable future; until hydrogen fuel stations are common place.:confused::confused:

It’s all very well politicians suggesting they want to ban petrol and diesel cars / vans but what about all the bad emissions from all the new production and producing electricity?

A better start would to have legislation to curb gas guzzling vehicles .......Chelsea tractors to start with ..
Be careful what you wish for, many people would lump our vans in as gas guzzlers, my mate's X5 gets a lot better fuel economy than my T6...

Be careful what you wish for, many people would lump our vans in as gas guzzlers, my mate's X5 gets a lot better fuel economy than my T6...

My T6 is my work vehicle. Lots of Chelsea tractors are only doing the school and supermarket runs

My T6 is my work vehicle. Lots of Chelsea tractors are only doing the school and supermarket runs
Couldn't agree more, I live in a rural village where many of the kids are delivered the 2-3 mile distance in Range Rovers. However, what do you do? Tell BMW, Land Rover, VW etc that they can no longer make engines bigger than 2.oL (you can't legislate on car style, however much you dislike them, it can only be on fuel economy)? How long do you give them? How long do you let people who bought them keep them? The obvious way to achieve what you're asking is a big hike in fuel tax to move the market into more economical cars, would you vote for someone who put petrol/diesel up to £2 - 2.50 a litre but as a result got the gas guzzlers off the road? Politics is tough, there aren't any easy answers.

Couldn't agree more, I live in a rural village where many of the kids are delivered the 2-3 mile distance in Range Rovers. However, what do you do? Tell BMW, Land Rover, VW etc that they can no longer make engines bigger than 2.oL (you can't legislate on car style, however much you dislike them, it can only be on fuel economy)? How long do you give them? How long do you let people who bought them keep them? The obvious way to achieve what you're asking is a big hike in fuel tax to move the market into more economical cars, would you vote for someone who put petrol/diesel up to £2 - 2.50 a litre but as a result got the gas guzzlers off the road? Politics is tough, there aren't any easy answers.

Putting up the price per litre hits all users .....road tax has been rising on bigger cars, but often the case is that these drivers have deep pockets.

A decent 2 litre turbo has more than enough power , so that should be a start .... and as for manufacturers “claimed “ mpg, let independent testers do real road tests .... then tax them accordingly.

Electric cars, means a significant drop in tax revenues ..... how will they fill these large holes ?

Back