Fuel Gauge intermittent Fault

Mike23864

NHS
T6 Guru
Intermittent fuel gauge fault has been getting more frequent. Gauge reads zero and Range reads - - - - - . Turning off ignition, waiting 30 seconds and turning key resolved it but now even that’s hit and miss. I have a diesel night heater fitted. Here’s the VCDS log. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

9453074 - Fuel Level Sensor 1
B103E 1B [008] - Resistance Too High
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 62
Mileage: 67129 km
Date: 2022.01.19
Time: 08:09:32

Wiring fault, poor connection, possibly near the top of the tank by the sender? Maybe the plug-in connection was not re-fitted correctly when the heater fuel pipe was fitted.

Just a guess but that VCDS log looks like a loose or corroded connection somewhere.

Thanks, that’s where my thoughts were heading. Question - which Is easier to check first- connection to fuel sender (can you get to the connector under the van?) or take out double swivel to check connector under there?

There shouldn't be a connector under the seat assuming that you have a T6. But it could be a damaged / crushed wiring loom under the seat area, those wires at 0.35 sq mm are awfully easy to damage. Here is the wiring diagram for the fuel gauge...
Fuel Gauge - sender wiring.jpg

Hi Mike. Did you get to the bottom of this? Did you have an engine management light come on as well? I think we're having similar issues.

Back