Fuel Gauge always showing full

Davenjo

VIP Member
T6 Legend
When I first got my van I had an issue with the fuel gauge sticking on full - at the time I had been driving on some very steep roads in the Lake District and figured that it was down to the tank float (or whatever is in there) somehow getting stuck at the top of the tank when the van was at an unusually steep angle. The problem went away on the next refill of the tank and had not been seen since. However, having come back from a trip to the Peak District yesterday and some reasonably steep roads, the problem is back, i.e. circa 140 miles driven and use of Eberspacher but the indicator is telling me the tank is still full (yet to see if refilling the tank fixes this time).

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Can the float stick in the way I describe? Could the fuel take off for my Eberspacher be behind the problem?

Hi @Davenjo

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I seem to have the same problem at the moment on my 2015 T5. The fuel gauge is sitting right as the top and the range says in excess of 600 miles still even though I have driven at least 170 miles since fuelling last. Although I won't complain if this is really my new fuel economy :whistle:

Hi @Davenjo

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I seem to have the same problem at the moment on my 2015 T5. The fuel gauge is sitting right as the top and the range says in excess of 600 miles still even though I have driven at least 170 miles since fuelling last. Although I won't complain if this is really my new fuel economy :whistle:

No, it stopped doing it so I forgot about it. However, the van had its first MOT last October with a full tank of fuel - shortly after I realised that the fuel needle was still showing full after driving circa 150 miles. I rang the dealership a couple of days before the warranty expired to log it as a warranty issue but the dealership said they would need it back in the workshop to do that and, as we were off on holidays the next day, I decided not to bother.

On the small number of occasions it happened to me was when the tank was full and I'd been driving in hills - I can only assume that when the dealership had it on the ramps to do the service and MOT it gave a similar set of circumstances.

Each time, I refilled the tank when I knew it should be half empty and this fixed the issue - presumably brimming the tank releases the float (or whatever is in the tank to record fuel level).

I much appreciate the detailed answer @Davenjo , I can't believe I forgot to mention it but I also have a diesel heater but the Russian Planar type which works exactly the same.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had this fuel gauge issue but doesn't have a diesel heater, in case it's actually nothing to do with it.

fuel gauge registers full and doesnt drop down any segments ,,could it be faulty sender unit ,a stuck float or electrical problem, this happened after filling the tank,
t6 2016

This happened to me earlier this year and the next refill sorted out the problem so I hoped it was a one off stuck float type problem, but it happened again recently and this time didn't budge over a couple of refills. Off to the garage where a faulty sender unit was diagnosed.
New unit installed for £200.

I much appreciate the detailed answer @Davenjo , I can't believe I forgot to mention it but I also have a diesel heater but the Russian Planar type which works exactly the same.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had this fuel gauge issue but doesn't have a diesel heater, in case it's actually nothing to do with it.

I installed a planar heater at the weekend. Since then, fuel level is stuck on full. I haven't driven enough yet to empty the tank by half and to try the brimming method (crossing my fingers) - but i suspect as the tank was maneuvered in awkward angles that I have an equivalent float issue as @Davenjo with his steep hills in the Lakes.

What solved the problem for you @BrianK?

Hi all, hope someone can point me in the right direction. My fuel guage is showing it is full all the time, can I assume it`s knackered or is there anything I can check before getting a new one. Cheers.

There may be some wires 'pinched' under the passenger seat but I had the same problem and it was diagnosed as a faulty float sensor and was replaced by the garage, can't quite remember but think it was in the region of £200. The tank has to be dropped to work on the sensor, some of the regulars might be able to assist if you go down the DIY route but dropping the tank wasn't for me.

Thanks KR, I recently was messing under the passenger seat so I will be investigating that to see if I have dislodged something, otherwise £200, I dont fancy messing with the tank either.

Back