Front Motorcycle Racks

Jackwiseman22

Good morning,

I am looking to install a front motorcycle rack... 1. Is this even legal? 2. Is this even possible? 3. If so, how?

I know it is easy to have a rear motorcycle rack as I did have one on my T5 but I found it such a pain when needing to get into the back of the van.

I found the attached pictures off of the internet and thought it looked to be a great idea to carry around my little vespa when in small Cornish towns etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction as I think this idea is very unique and looks a bit different.

Thanks in advance.

8BBDB88B-1E37-47E2-8A9A-D90138351BD5.jpeg

A9CF95C6-3179-4EBD-8AA9-F4CBD4CA46E1.jpeg

I wouldn’t think it’s road legal in the UK as it wouldn’t end well if there was a pedestrian collision.
Plus a T6 is watercooled with the radiators behind the bike.

I think the weight of the bike + rack + the leverage could easily exceed your front axle weight, and with such an obvious load you're asking to be pulled into a weighbridge :)
Also on the first pic all the lights and indicators are obscured, and in the second pic the bike is about to be mashed anyway... :D

Get a bullbar….whizz by a bikers meet….see how many you can collect on the bullbar!

TBH, Given that bullbars are illegal in the UK, I suspect a front rack would be too!

That’s got to be illegal in so many ways, and not good for the van.

Pete

I wouldn’t think it’s road legal in the UK as it wouldn’t end well if there was a pedestrian collision.
Plus a T6 is watercooled with the radiators behind the bike.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

UK law requires that no vehicle can be in a position, condition or any circumstances which cause danger.
This covers such things as a lorry trailer door blowing open, a hot exhaust tailpipe protruding beyond the car which may cause burns and sharp rusty edges which may cause (more) serious pedestrian injuries in a collision. All these are examples successful prosecutions (with accompanying penalty points).

In short it covers anything that a magistrate can be persuaded is dangerous.

Unless the motorcycle and carrier is shrouded in some form then it’s likely to be an offence.

Have a look at Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations, Section 100 says;
(3) No motor vehicle or trailer shall be used for any purpose for which it is so unsuitable as to cause or be likely to cause danger or nuisance to any person in or on the vehicle or trailer or on a road.

I reckon your motorbike on the front of a van not designed to carry a load in that position would certainly be illegal in the UK.

If by some strange twist of logic it is legal you’d better make sure everything else is because you’re going to get pulled over a lot.

Back