Fog Lights illuminating on their own

Mupp3tt

T6 Pro
So I'm having an issue with my fog lights, and completely separate from each other.
Like most I leave my lights on "auto" (fog lights off) jump in and out of the van and never really worry.
Recently when you turn on the ignition, and start the engine, ONE of the two fog lights will also turn on. (which one is random) (this only happens when the engine is running, and if the ignition on but not having the engine running it doesnt happen), The other thing I have noticed when physically turning on the fog lights is that I cannot see the "cornering" function working. Has anyone had these issues. I'm waiting for my dealer to call me back.

Spec is a 204PS HIGHLINE with LED headlights, heated washers etc....

This will happen if you leave the steering turned when you park up. What you are seeing is the cornering light function.

This will happen if you leave the steering turned when you park up. What you are seeing is the cornering light function.

??? Ok so do the fog lights turn on one at a time while driving? is that how the cornering function works? I assumed they would be motor driven, ie directionally trun but both be on... off out to try this out

??? Ok so do the fog lights turn on one at a time while driving? is that how the cornering function works? I assumed they would be motor driven, ie directionally trun but both be on... off out to try this out
Correct, the fog lamp reflector is designed to spread the light right to the side and at low speed the lights operate one at a time according to your steering angle.

Fogs are static, turn the wheel right (or indicate right at the correct vehicle speed) and the right fog will illuminate and vice versa for the left side
When fogs are manually turned on you will see no change as they are already illuminated

Fogs are static, turn the wheel right (or indicate right at the correct vehicle speed) and the right fog will illuminate and vice versa for the left side
When fogs are manually turned on you will see no change as they are already illuminated

ohhhhhhhh,, feeling mightly stupid right now..... ha ha .. oh well my child lock on the sliding door still majically reingages.. maybe I should go check that too ...

Agree with Pauly and Loz, the only difference with the cornering function is when you're in reverse as they both come on and it has no bearing on which way the wheel is pointing.

Ah ha! Was worried about my fog lights. Couldn't figure out what was going on. Neighbour told me one of my lights was out so I checked them and everything was ok and both dogs were on. Then next day I noticed only one light was on. Then I saw in reflection of shop window one of the lights actually turn on as I was cornering.

Had no idea they did this. Seems a tad odd and I imagine I'll get lots of people telling me a light has gone lol

Do the fogs come on automatically when in have lights set to auto? Or do they just come on one at a time when cornering at low speeds?

They come on cornering at low speeds or indicating, also both come on when reversing! It's a common VAG thing my Skoda does this as well.

Hi All -

A few weeks ago a colleague told me that one of my 'driving lights' was out as I pulled into the car park one morning, he meant the drivers side fog light, I went and had a look but with the head lights on neither fog light was on, I pulled the switch out to turn the fogs on and both came on so I thought nothing more of it.

This morning as I pulled out my drive way I noticed in a neighbours window that the passenger fog was on, but the drivers fog was out, I got out to double check and this was the case, drove to work, then when I got to work and checked again both fogs were out, but when I pulled the switch out to turn the fog lights on both of them lit up?

I would like to know when the headlights are in 'auto' mode should the fog lights be on, but not as bright? If so has anyone encountered an issue like this?

Many thanks,

When you indicate, and your going below a certain speed, the corresponding fog light illuminates. It’s called cornering fog lights or something like. It can be turned off with VCDS

Thanks Deaky - so to confirm then, the fog lights aren't on when the headlights are on in 'auto' mode, only when you pull the switch out to manually engage them?

Thanks Deaky - so to confirm then, the fog lights aren't on when the headlights are on in 'auto' mode, only when you pull the switch out to manually engage them?
Correct, you have to turn 'auto' mode off to switch the fogs on.

I looked At my ring camera footage that records motion outside my house an I noticed when I was parking that my driver side fog came on first and as I was straightening up it swapped to the passenger side fog. I also thought I had crossed wiring or worse until I read this thread. Thanks, I didn’t even realise pulling the dial out activated your fogs either… duh. Noob.

Back