FM Antenna in passenger wing mirror

lough90

Maintenance Supervisor - oil & gas
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have been advised that I need to add an external ariel as the OE one that is supposedly fitted in the passenger wing mirrors do not pick up FM. I have had an Pioneer head unit installed and thought that they had neglected to connect the ariel as I am unable to tune any FM or AM station and only get DAB which due to where I live is very internment. Is this a common issue or am I just being fobbed off?

First i have heard of this problem, may be worth double checking they are connected but that means removing the door card
Have yo ever been able to recieve any am/fm stations before or after stereo swap ??
FYI Both sides have aerials in split between AM/FM/DAB/GSM/GPS as a VIP member feel free to request any technical documents/specific info you may need :thumbsup:

The new head unit was fitted by the company a bought the van from so i have never been able to tune any AM or FM stations , Regarding requesting technical documents how does this work?

Check out the VIP section, if you need something specific just use the contact us link at the bottom of any page (or message me) with details of what you are after, the forum has invested in many T6 info/technical/workshop manuals we can draw information from, this is where membership fees are spent compiling info and technical documents etc etc

Hi There, I'm also looking for answers regarding antennas in the mirros and bad reception. At the back of my Discovery media (no stanav but DAB) radio I have three antenna connectors: a brown one, a double white one and a black one. I guess it's DAB, FM and AM. The double one seems to be for diversity reception (double antenna to choose the best signal from), but not sure if the diversity is for DAB or FM. in the left door I have one antenna cable routed. In the right door I have two cables going there... So it seems I'm missing one here... Alos I have an antenna cable ending with a blue connector loos in the right door (coming from the mirror)...

ANy input welcome.

Thanks.

BEst regards

If you dont have satnav then its not a discovery media ??
N/S mirror houses AM/FM combo + optional GSM
O/S mirror houses FM + DAB + optional GPS
Black = DAB
Double white = 1 x AM & FM + a second FM
Blue = GPS
Yellow = USB

Not sure about the brown one ?

Thx Pauly. Indeed it's a Composition Media. Sorry but what do N/S and O/S wtand for? Thx. See pic of my orphan connector coming out of right side mirror (FYI EU left hand drive) _20171005_234833.JPG

I was having very poor FM and DAB reception and found out the shield of one of the antenna wires was not attached to the bolt as on the other door. I guess this esplains part of the issues. I'll try tomrrow morning now that it's bolted back on.

N/S = near side = left = passenger side of right hand drive
O/S = off side = right = drivers side of right hand drive

If you don't have satnav then there is no requirement for the GPS aerial so it's not connected

I have been advised that I need to add an external ariel as the OE one that is supposedly fitted in the passenger wing mirrors do not pick up FM. I have had an Pioneer head unit installed and thought that they had neglected to connect the ariel as I am unable to tune any FM or AM station and only get DAB which due to where I live is very internment. Is this a common issue or am I just being fobbed off?

You will have twin fm aerials, one in each mirror, they probably didn’t have the correct adapter...

Pop the radio out and take a pic, or if you are ever in the area pop in and il sort it for you

@PaulE Hi mate. I noticed you said theDAB areal is in the driver door in this thread.... I've been having issues with dropped reception in areas with DAB and fighting with VW about it. They say they have changed the areal in the NS mirror but that would mean the AM FM areal not DAB.... long story short . Sticky NS mirror, poor DAB, got the DAB working... Mirror still sticking up ... got the morrow sorted.... DAB no longer working as well. . Also when charging a phone from 12v socket the DAB reception cuts out... unplug the phone and it works.. changed charging device and used in other vehicle with DAB and no issue... changed phones and same results.... VW only ever looked at the NS mirror and now think it is a cabling issue.... no resolution so far and it is the middle upgrade stereo..... anyone with any ideas?

Mine has been bad from day one and even the fm is rubbish. Took it back but was told that is as it gets . I think it needs a good dab arial on the roof like other vans and cars. We have just ordered a new mini for the wife so I will see how that compares when we get it as are old car hasn't got dab but the fm is much better than the t6 .

@Philip Koch the picture you have uploaded, is that the inside of the door, with the window motor on view, over the past 2 weeks my Dab is very intermittent and just wondering if its could just simply be a quick off with the door card and reseat the connectors

@Philip Koch the picture you have uploaded, is that the inside of the door, with the window motor on view, over the past 2 weeks my Dab is very intermittent and just wondering if its could just simply be a quick off with the door card and reseat the connectors
I have been in and out of the van center for nearly a year and VW have agreed there is an issue. and there is as after the center fiddled with the Areal it work perfect near everywhere, but after having the wing mirror replaced in warently ( and shoddily replaced as the plastics don't line up ) it no longer works as it did before.. also still cutting in and out when you plug in a mobile to charge.

Back