Where is my GPS antenna

wileyk80

VIP Member
Hi again all
In need of help please
As previously posted I had my offside (driver's) mirror smashed totally
Now repaired by other guys Insurance but my sat nav is trying to tell me that I am in Ireland not Stoke
DAB is also worse than usual and drops out when I change direction
Took it back to VW who repaired it
They insist that DAB and GPS antennas are both in the nearside (passenger) mirror as they are in the opposite side to German spec
Is this correct as all of the information that I can find says drivers door

more info . . .

1605888604197.png.

Reactions: mmi
Hi again all
In need of help please
As previously posted I had my offside (driver's) mirror smashed totally
Now repaired by other guys Insurance but my sat nav is trying to tell me that I am in Ireland not Stoke
DAB is also worse than usual and drops out when I change direction
Took it back to VW who repaired it
They insist that DAB and GPS antennas are both in the nearside (passenger) mirror as they are in the opposite side to German spec
Is this correct as all of the information that I can find says drivers door
I see that they have assisted you. You are fortunate concerning the other side paying out. Mine was damaged by a truck going the opposite way that appeared to swerve into me at the last second. It almost felt almost as if it was deliberate. He did not stop. It was going to cost me £hundreds but the parts guy who arranged replacement was very considerate and made every effort, including can spray can paint to keep down the costs. It still cost over a couple of hundred but it was going to be very much higher.

It has been hit on two further occasions since on at least one of those. I also felt some deliberate action because of the strange way they diverted from their original path. I was lucky that on those occasions I could just push every thing back into place. I watching on this forum to see if a trend was developing, that of deliberate mirror smashing I was almost convinced but have seen no further evidence so it must have been coincidence.

My gps was in the drivers mirror 65 t6, replaced after being smashed, the sat nav stopped working but is fine now

I see that they have assisted you. You are fortunate concerning the other side paying out. Mine was damaged by a truck going the opposite way that appeared to swerve into me at the last second. It almost felt almost as if it was deliberate. He did not stop. It was going to cost me £hundreds but the parts guy who arranged replacement was very considerate and made every effort, including can spray can paint to keep down the costs. It still cost over a couple of hundred but it was going to be very much higher.

It has been hit on two further occasions since on at least one of those. I also felt some deliberate action because of the strange way they diverted from their original path. I was lucky that on those occasions I could just push every thing back into place. I watching on this forum to see if a trend was developing, that of deliberate mirror smashing I was almost convinced but have seen no further evidence so it must have been coincidence.
I think they’re out to get you!
It is disappointing how flimsy the covers are though

I think they’re out to get you!
It is disappointing how flimsy the covers are though
Flimsy and dammed expensive! The 6.1 has all its antennii in the rubber phallus thingy on the roof above the windscreen It would be great if

could do a write up how to put the antenna in the rubber on the roof front. It might give better reception up there, be less vulnerable and the mirror may replacement may cost less?

Last edited:
Flimsy and dammed expensive! The 6.1 has all its antennii in the rubber phallus thingy on the roof above the windscreen It would be great if

could do a write up how to put the antenna in the rubber on the roof front. It might give better reception up there, be less vulnerable and the mirror may replacement may cost less?
Completely agree....except I’d like a California variant please!!!!

Why is the point in shoving that kit into the most vulnerable areas of of the van (with all the subsequent routing back from door panels!)
Are you suggesting that the roof just above the window is vulnerable? :confused: More vulnerable than the wing mirrors? Where is the California variant please?

you can already get the 3rd party roof top antennas . .

it just needs an 11mm hole and some silicone to seal it up.

Eightwood DAB Aerial Car Aerial Splitter Fakra Adapter AM/FM Aerial DAB Radio Fakra GPS Roof Antenna Signal Amplifier Car Shark Fin Antenna with Extension Cable RG174 500cm for Car AM/FM GPS DAB

About this item

• Shark fin active AM/FM DAB+ GPS+ car aerial. AM / FM Frequency: 522-1710KHz (AM), 87.5-108MHz (FM) | Gain: 13 ± 3 dB (AM), 16 ± 3 dB (FM) | Plug: Fakra B adapter | Cable: 5m RG174
  • DAB Frequency: 170MHz-240MHz (Band III), 1452MHz ~ 1492MHz (L-band) | Gain: 18dB ± 3dB (band III), 8dB ± 3dB (L band) | Plug: Fakra A Adapter | Cable: 5m RG174
  • GPS frequency: 1575.42 ± 1023MHz | Gain: 28dB ± 3dB | Plug: Fakra C Adapter | Cable: 5m RG174
  • Applications: TechniSat Pioneer Panasonic AiliTech Clarion Kenwood Alpine Pure Revo Sony JVC Blaupunkt PP16DAB PP15DAB RXD10 RXD34 RXD35 RXD50 RXD120 IRD30 BD400 CLRD30
  • Package: 1x antenna (power supply cable 12V + including mounting nut) | Roof installation: borehole diameter 10.5mm | Dimensions (length * width * height): 138. mm * 65mm * 63mm

1605899663173.png

1605899723871.png1605899741202.png1605899750396.png

not yet - to retro fit a T6 anyway

Are you suggesting that the roof just above the window is vulnerable? :confused: More vulnerable than the wing mirrors? Where is the California variant please?
Crossed wires! (Yes, the irony of that is not lost!) I meant that the mirrors are the most vulnerable area and I’d rather a roof mounted solution!

you can already get the 3rd party roof top antennas . .

it just needs an 11mm hole and some silicone to seal it up.

Eightwood DAB Aerial Car Aerial Splitter Fakra Adapter AM/FM Aerial DAB Radio Fakra GPS Roof Antenna Signal Amplifier Car Shark Fin Antenna with Extension Cable RG174 500cm for Car AM/FM GPS DAB

About this item

• Shark fin active AM/FM DAB+ GPS+ car aerial. AM / FM Frequency: 522-1710KHz (AM), 87.5-108MHz (FM) | Gain: 13 ± 3 dB (AM), 16 ± 3 dB (FM) | Plug: Fakra B adapter | Cable: 5m RG174
  • DAB Frequency: 170MHz-240MHz (Band III), 1452MHz ~ 1492MHz (L-band) | Gain: 18dB ± 3dB (band III), 8dB ± 3dB (L band) | Plug: Fakra A Adapter | Cable: 5m RG174
  • GPS frequency: 1575.42 ± 1023MHz | Gain: 28dB ± 3dB | Plug: Fakra C Adapter | Cable: 5m RG174
  • Applications: TechniSat Pioneer Panasonic AiliTech Clarion Kenwood Alpine Pure Revo Sony JVC Blaupunkt PP16DAB PP15DAB RXD10 RXD34 RXD35 RXD50 RXD120 IRD30 BD400 CLRD30
  • Package: 1x antenna (power supply cable 12V + including mounting nut) | Roof installation: borehole diameter 10.5mm | Dimensions (length * width * height): 138. mm * 65mm * 63mm

View attachment 92456

View attachment 92457View attachment 92458View attachment 92459
Thanks @Dellmassive - that is a really useful post! I wish I’d known of those when my T5.1 Cali was bashed!

I have not yet recovered from the GIMP post on waving or not and what might happen to me if I do not wave back!:smile bounce:

Too the roof then. Unfortunately I do not have the appropriate security clearances for The Organization to merit viewings of top secret stuff in the file marked RED. I have no Pay Pal.:laugh: Definitely the roof looks good!

I have not yet recovered from the GIMP post on waving or not and what might happen to me if I do not wave back!:smile bounce:

Too the roof then. Unfortunately I do not have the appropriate security clearances for The Organization to merit viewings of top secret stuff in the file marked RED. I have no Pay Pal.:laugh: Definitely the roof looks good!
Clearance? Authority? Permission? I can confirm that in”wear the trousers in this household”.....when my wife allows me, obviously!

Clearance? Authority? Permission? I can confirm that in”wear the trousers in this household”.....when my wife allows me, obviously!
Ha Ha, no non no yes I mean no Vicar of Dibley sound alike. I could not open ]Dellmassive post that he very kindly posted

Back