Flooring batten width

tilla

Hi,

I recently glued down battens to my T6 floor which i plan on screwing 12mm ply into. I have sound deadened and thermally insulated over the top of the panels, however, I just realised I have followed some incorrect advice and I've used 12mm battens, rather than 9mm battens which I have now found out is the correct width that most people use.

My question is, does it matter that i have used 12mm battens for the floor? I really hope i don't have to rip anything up now as it would be a nightmare.

These are the sort of battens i have used to create a grid on the floor Wickes Whitewood PSE Timber - 12 x 44 x 2400mm | Wickes.co.uk

Thanks,
Matt

The thing with 9mm thickness is that they sit flush with the ridges in the floor. You’ll now be 3 mm proud of the floor. If you’ve already glued them I’d say put the floor ply in, roughly mark where your furniture is going then walk around the remaining bit.
You’ll then see how much the ply floor flexes and make your own decision.
Also you’ll be 3mm higher when it comes to installing the deeper door step and rear threshold cover.
Structurally I’m pretty sure there’s no problem.
I used 9mm batons and 9mm ply (less weight) and there’s a little flex in the floor. But you’d never notice.
Don’t forget, if you put 7mm closed cell thermal insulation down before the ply floor then you’ll get some slight spring anyway.

fit a 9 mm Floor... and the raised step cover and rear thresh-hold cover will still work .

Eclipes custom campers might be able to cut you a 1 piece 9 mm floor they are in Yeovil so not far from you .

Last edited:
OK thanks for that guys, i've already got a guy who's cutting the ply for me so i will ask for it to be 9mm. Really kicking myself that i didn't just use 9mm battens in the first place now. Hopefully it will be ok...

OK thanks for that guys, i've already got a guy who's cutting the ply for me so i will ask for it to be 9mm. Really kicking myself that i didn't just use 9mm battens in the first place now. Hopefully it will be ok...
Might be an idea to just put the thermal insulation in between all the batons and leave them uncovered. That way you’ll fill the gaps a bit without introducing sponginess where the ply meets the baton. I’m sure 21mm of ply is pretty good insulation between metal and occupant.

Might be an idea to just put the thermal insulation in between all the batons and leave them uncovered. That way you’ll fill the gaps a bit without introducing sponginess where the ply meets the baton. I’m sure 21mm of ply is pretty good insulation between metal and occupant.
Thanks but I already insulated over the top so I’m just going to have to live with the fact it might be slightly spongey.

I have put the old ply that was in the van previously on top for the time being and it doesnt feel toooo bad, it just dips in certain places to I might have to just place or glue more 12mm battens on top of the insulation to level it out.

Not ideal but hopefully this will work…

Replying on this thread again because as expected I'm having issues trying to fit a rear thresh cover. I fitted the 9mm floor instead of 12mm but it's too high - It's because i laid down 7mm Dodo Thermo Liner on top of the 12mm battens i used. This insulation must compress somewhat, but I'm still probably at least 5mm over what it should be to fit a step and rear thresh cover. I really screwed this up!!

Has anyone got any ideas on a work around?

I can build my own side step but I'm not sure what i can do with the rear threshold

Thanks

The thing with 9mm thickness is that they sit flush with the ridges in the floor. You’ll now be 3 mm proud of the floor. If you’ve already glued them I’d say put the floor ply in, roughly mark where your furniture is going then walk around the remaining bit.
You’ll then see how much the ply floor flexes and make your own decision.
Also you’ll be 3mm higher when it comes to installing the deeper door step and rear threshold cover.
Structurally I’m pretty sure there’s no problem.
I used 9mm batons and 9mm ply (less weight) and there’s a little flex in the floor. But you’d never notice.
Don’t forget, if you put 7mm closed cell thermal insulation down before the ply floor then you’ll get some slight spring anyway.
Hi Bigisdavies

I'm at the floor laying stage myself and my van came with a 9mm ply floor installed, I have removed it to inspect /repair floor.

It would be a lot easier for me to reinstall the 9mm floor.I live in NI and postage for pre cut ply was quoted at £375.

You are the first example I have found of this being done, does the higher step not sit too high? Did you use insulation or soundproofing panels under the ply?

Many Thanks

I cut the floor packers for a T6's that are used as wheel chair access vehicles and the company that buys them takes 4 sizes . All in 9mm hardwood plywood, 1500mm x 60mm, 1500mm x 80mm, 1300mm x 185mm and 1200mm x 145mm. Unfortunately I am unable to tell you where each piece goes though

There is a post in this forum with a link to a pre cut set of ply and a photo showing it installed.

Hi Bigisdavies

I'm at the floor laying stage myself and my van came with a 9mm ply floor installed, I have removed it to inspect /repair floor.

It would be a lot easier for me to reinstall the 9mm floor.I live in NI and postage for pre cut ply was quoted at £375.

You are the first example I have found of this being done, does the higher step not sit too high? Did you use insulation or soundproofing panels under the ply?

Many Thanks
I used 9mm battens. Covered the whole floor in dodo hex then covered everything including the battens in dodo thermal liner (I think the 7mm stuff) then screwed 9mm ply down on top.
It’s absolutely fine with hardly any noticeable flex. Been like that for 18months no probs.
You’re walking on a small surface area with a small number of people. Even if it flexes slightly, so what?9C4F1E83-595C-424D-A3AB-355D8368EC81.jpeg36B98180-C1BD-40AE-8DCC-0A8492AB9A6F.jpeg

Last edited:
As @Skyliner33 stated above, the below is the web link to the 9mm packer set you can buy online. These were out of stock when I did my floor so bought a ply sheet and copied the layout, just measured and cut all the batons myself.

Thank you, ordered this set and will look into Dodo hex and liner.

I have plenty of kiravans thermo acoustic liner left, has anyone used that to insulate beneath the floor ply?

As @Skyliner33 stated above, the below is the web link to the 9mm packer set you can buy online. These were out of stock when I did my floor so bought a ply sheet and copied the layout, just measured and cut all the batons myself.

Hey, can I ask how what size ply board(s) did you buy to cover all that’s required? Is one 2.4m x 1.2m enough?

Hey, can I ask how what size ply board(s) did you buy to cover all that’s required? Is one 2.4m x 1.2m enough?
Hi, this is correct I just bought a 2.4m x 1.2m sheet of 9mm ply. It’s far too much though but I’ve used the of cuts for other DIY jobs at home. I used a free sheet optimiser online and I think it used 59% of the sheet so there’s a fair amount of wastage! Image of my install prior to gluing down, apologies I did have a hand written sheet of all the numbers and dimensions I cut but i binned it as I was done with it :thumbsdown:

886EABC0-A7A9-4532-83C9-37C2AD4AD921.jpeg

Thank you, ordered this set and will look into Dodo hex and liner.

I have plenty of kiravans thermo acoustic liner left, has anyone used that to insulate beneath the floor ply?
Did you ply packer set arrive ok? Mine’s pants, seriously skimpy compared to photos.

I was gonna order the kit but given I've got all the tools (inc a table saw, which def helps) & some time I just bought a sheet & did it.
Meant I could plan it myself & could do the smaller fiddly bits too, although it did take quite a while to do & the van floor now has little numbered rectangles with sizes drawn all over it with a sharpie.
I also used the cut optimiser; excellent online tool.
I think that the kit is reasonably priced, given the time it took me, but only if it isn't "skimpy".

I can provide a list and cutting plan (pdf) for a LWB Kombi if anyone is interested.

I used 9mm battens. Covered the whole floor in dodo hex then covered everything including the battens in dodo thermal liner (I think the 7mm stuff) then screwed 9mm ply down on top.
It’s absolutely fine with hardly any noticeable flex. Been like that for 18months no probs.
You’re walking on a small surface area with a small number of people. Even if it flexes slightly, so what?View attachment 157630View attachment 157629
Hi sorry to ask about your floor was your top coat the 7 mm insulation dodo so that means you did a 7mm ontop of the ridges 9 mm ply then did you add a top sheet say 2mm altro
That’s adds to 18mm did that all fit under the side step deep and the rear threshold?
Also you said you screwed it down was that just through the top board through the dodo layer then into the battens ?
If so did you find the dodo layer compress much
Any other pictures would be helpful pls
Any issues fitting step or threshold lashing points afterwards cheers

Back