Fitting Single Sliding Rails and Cali Bed.

Rightly or wrongly I bonded (sikaflex) these sections of ply onto the van floor in the kombi/load ring cutouts in the mat. Using the sikaflex to make up the difference in height I could adjust them so they sat just underflush of the load mat to allow for some compression in it.
I then screwed (possibly bonded too I seem to remeber to prevent squeaks) the one piece ply floor to these.
Seemed to work well enough. Near side rail aluminium trim was a little 'tight' to get it to clip in though and had to relieve some of the ply to create a slightly bigger gap around the rail/clips.
Dragging this thread back up again, but I think @j4ckal, @Ads_Essex and @Garny999 have convinced me to go with leaving the Kombi rubber floor in and laying 12mm ply on top, in preparation for Cali rails in the future. The question is, did you cut the ply floor yourself or buy it, and is it 1, 2 or 3 pieces? (This is for a SWB).

Would like to get a well fitting floor, so thinking about how to get a smooth transition between multiple pieces of ply, and conscious of ideally wanting a bevel to the edge of the floor around places like the C pillars (I think Slidepods do this with their ply floors, but don't think theirs is at the height a Cali floor would be at).

Also wondering if it's possible to bolt the ply floor down to the tie-down threads as well to stop any potential movement?

I had mine done by Rich at Kernow and it looks like they've put kombi mat in, 12mm on top and then Altura. He did say they have to bevel the rear to come down to the same height as the multivan threshold they put on. I had bought a caravelle one but he said it was no good as the edges are designed to go flush onto the plastics the caravelle would have.

I bought a one-piece sheet of ply and cut it myself. If @SlidePods is willing to send you a CNC’d sheet then go for it - any small differences around the edges will be covered by your flooring tile.

Pre-cut one piece ply for me (lwb) had to trim a few little bits and put a big chamfer on the rear edge so the barn door threshold would fit.

Hi gents,

I am about t do the same job, with VW transporter T5 2010 SWB. DOo you think that I can use all your measurements above, or should I be worried as you were using newer T6 I guess. Also, do you think it is a good idea to use LWB if I want to install or genuine parts from California Ocean? (kitchen, RnR seat) Thanks!

I'm about to get cali rails and bench so assessing what it would take to keep my MS Craft sliding swivel. Seems about 10mm out. Will see if I can jack up the rear posts and compensate with a reclined twin seat bracket from Vancraft:
PXL_20210220_183432271.NIGHT.jpg

Last edited:
What are everyones thoughts on the Jack/toolkit that slots into the rear of these seats? Do any of you cali seat/bed owners have one? They tidy up the back of the seat a bit.

IMG_0675.jpeg

IMG_0676.jpeg

Toolkit.jpg

Ah I see, fair enough. Would be good to make use of this space somehow.
You maybe able to fit the bottle jack in the space, plus you still need the other tools to change a wheel. Given that the wheel bolt torque is quite high at 180Nm you might want to carry a 6 sided socket, 4” extension, sliding T bar and an extension tube. It’s a far better option than the pressed steel wrench VW provide - less chance of damaging the locking bolts.

@j4ckal Just checking your earlier photo, can you please confirm that there are 6 square headed rail securing bolts / rail?
I was doing some work on my rails and I’ve found some square holes in the rails with no bolts, it was professionally converted by a reputable company.
I know that some converters bond and bolt but I can’t think of a good reason not to install all the bolts possible.
Does any body have the full parts diagram for the Cali rail system?
Thanks
1619258426767.jpeg

@j4ckal Just checking your earlier photo, can you please confirm that there are 6 square headed rail securing bolts / rail?
I was doing some work on my rails and I’ve found some square holes in the rails with no bolts, it was professionally converted by a reputable company.
I know that some converters bond and bolt but I can’t think of a good reason not to install all the bolts possible.
Does any body have the full parts diagram for the Cali rail system?
Thanks
View attachment 113626

Hmm interesting. Agreed, it would be good to see a diagram for this.

I’ve found massively conflicting opinions on whether brackets should be fitted on the 2 rail Cali version of the VW sliding system.

Kernow say no, a couple of people on here have reported VW say no. But 2 quality converters I’ve spoken to say absolutely and definitely yes. I’ve taken a look at how my rear 2+1 Kombi seats are fitted and now I’m also of the opinion the rails should definitely have brackets. If a single Kombi seat has brackets then surely the massively weighty Cali bed needs them?

A simple diagram should put the debate to bed. Along with which holes need bolts and which don’t.

Back