Fitting Silent Coat To Converted Van- Nightmare?

Mcdubbin

T6 Pro
Not sure if any has taken this one on and looking for advice.

We bought a newly converted SWB T6 last year and I think I want to take out the entire interior and retro fit silent coat and proper insulation. I took off the passenger side back panel and it looks like we just have wool type insulation and carpet. I tapped around the wheel arches and it’s just carpet.

I’m kicking myself for not doing enough research before the conversion to ask for this as obviously much easier to do first. That said I’m always going to be left wondering if it would be quieter/warmer if this was done..

From what I can tell the interior is mainly screwed in and I figure if I carefully remove everything and cut back the carpet lining I can do a proper job.

Very interested to hear if anyone has taken this on and if you have any tips on where to get materials etc.

I’ve already done lights and suspension which have made a huge difference but feel this is something that’s worth sorting before the summer. Thanks in advance!!

I've recently done my van from a sound proof and insulation point of view, supplies from the below places, however i've not tried to do this after an install.

www.silentcoat.co.uk
www.dodomat.com
www.deadening.co.uk

I however think if the carpet over the arches have been glued with a good spray adhesive then you'll struggle to get it back looking good and may need to re-carpet due to it over stretching when trying to remove it.

Another thing to note, if your (wool type) filling is a natural fibre id remove it and replace with a material that inst susceptible to holding moisture, recycled plastic bottles etc.

If you can remove the interior lining it shouldn't be too difficult. If the insulation is glued it'll be a pita to remove but once removed the silentcoat/dodomat is pretty sticky stuff. You can do the wheel arches from the outside by removing the wheel and liner. Just be methodical with taking it all apart and take your time.

If you can remove the interior lining it shouldn't be too difficult. If the insulation is glued it'll be a pita to remove but once removed the silentcoat/dodomat is pretty sticky stuff. You can do the wheel arches from the outside by removing the wheel and liner. Just be methodical with taking it all apart and take your time.

It looks like the existing insulation is just stuffed in there and I didn’t realise you could do the arches from the outside! I don’t mind having to re-do the carpet lining though, just got to match existing material. Looks like I’m going to have some more time on my hands over the next few weeks and almost looking forward to the project. Good lesson to people looking at having conversions done- it’s in the detail!

Certainly is, but, equally you can't know what you don't know! You'll be able to fix it. If you get the 4 way stretch carpet it's not too bad a job.

Back