Sound deadening - everywhere or select areas?

Carlwaynie

T6 Pro
Hi all… looking at utube and this forum for some clarity ,will be having a new T6.1 at some point in the near future and even though I wont be using as a camper I will still want it sound deadding and carpeted in conjunction with an upgrade to the audio system, now when searching this topic I get a little confused, some go full out and silent coat everywhere others just do certain parts and panels then thermo and carpet, I’m also conscious of the added weight to the vehicle,I won’t do the floor but would like to know what others have done in my situation and if you have any photos to show in more detail.
Thanks and Merry Christmas to you all

I used silentcoat on floor, ceiling, side panels, wheel arches, sliding door, tailgate and inside the front doors - 40 sheets.

It is a SWB Kombi rather than a campervan but still wanted to make it ride nicely and not too noisy/harsh.

I also used some of the B&Q recycled bottle insulation in all the orifices.

As I’m not sleeping in it I didn’t worry about vapour barrier or sealing the insulation in.

You definitely don’t need to fully cover every surface 100% with silentcoat - I used full sheets where I could but just concentrated on the middle of the panels.

I did silentcoat the floor even though I have the thick padded Kombi flooring in place - just for completeness really

Hi all… looking at utube and this forum for some clarity ,will be having a new T6.1 at some point in the near future and even though I wont be using as a camper I will still want it sound deadding and carpeted in conjunction with an upgrade to the audio system, now when searching this topic I get a little confused, some go full out and silent coat everywhere others just do certain parts and panels then thermo and carpet, I’m also conscious of the added weight to the vehicle,I won’t do the floor but would like to know what others have done in my situation and if you have any photos to show in more detail.
Thanks and Merry Christmas to you all
I did some of the floor and approximately 75% coverage on the side panels and roof. I went 100% coverage on the wheel arch internally as wanted an even thickness applied before I added abs arch covers. As I have the thick OEM Kombi mat I personally wouldn't bother do the floor again. With all the ridges and dimples it is fairly 'dead' to start with and adding more only really adds weight to the vehicle. The Kombi mat does well for sound absorption as it is some sort of dense foam. What ever your plans for the floor I would say a sound absorber is probably more appropriate than a deadener. I've seen people add thinner foam between ply floors in the rear.

Silent coat is primarily a deadening product, as you probably already know it works by adding mass to a panel or part. You could apply the 'knock' test, tap a panel or area with your knuckles and listen to the sound if it makes. If it produces a 'ting' then silent coat will help it. If it makes a 'thud' or duller sound then adding more silent coat will only very marginally help but will be adding weight. Think rule of diminishing returns. The last 5-10% of any panel yields very little benefit for the cost and added weight.

Personally the best thing for the duller panels, and the panels you have silent coated, would then be treatment with sound absorption material such as the dodo van liners, acoustic egg box style foam and other recycled bottle insulation. The carpet lining will also help massively. I know with all the rear seats out my van is still has lots of ecco, i've silent coated, dodo van liner and insulation behind all panels but no carpet yet. (carpet and new ply panels is next on the long slow list of van plans) The carpet lining will help reduce the noise from bouncing around the inside of the van off all the hard surfaces. Recording studios often have large thick floor rugs and egg box panels on the wall to absorb the sound and stop reflection of sound waves. I'm yet to do this stage but others have commented that this makes the most noticeable difference.

Do a search for other areas to apply deadening and absorption lots of good threads on this.

Back