Fitting Side Bar/side Steps ..... Issue With A/c Pipes!

Whiz

Meet BANKSY - There is always "Hope"
T6 Guru
I have just been shown by garage why the Side bars I have bought cannot be fitted to my T6 Shuttle LWB T32.

This is due to the a/c pipework running under the van (for the a/c in rear cabin), covering the bracket where the front supporting crossbar needs to be bolted to allow the Side bars to be attached! Here is a photo (on the offside) of the underside a/c pipework and the support at the front Offside ( from under the van).

If anyone has any ideas how to overcome this issue - or a supplier of bars that attach in a different way, thus avoiding the a/c pipework please let us know asap.

20180427_165218.jpg

20180427_165158.jpg

Last edited:
Get them modded..
Cut foot off and re-weld few inches further?.;

Redrill with 9mm hole for M6 bolt, rust prevent, insert revit nut and bolt on..

Sorry, can't offer any help with the answer! But I have a T32 LWB shuttle too. @Bluey could you be more helpful than I, and tell me what are the offending sidebars so I can avoid the same problem?

Sorry, can't offer any help with the answer! But I have a T32 LWB shuttle too. @Bluey could you be more helpful than I, and tell me what are the offending sidebars so I can avoid the same problem?

Hi mate yes bought from Van style. Co.UK. they were the 4 step 76mm angled corner ones priced at around £180. Having said that if you book ahead with vanstyle they say they will fit them .... one final comment they did have a few marks on them - so not perfect - but you are not paying £400+ for them!
Get them modded..
Cut foot off and re-weld few inches further?.;

Redrill with 9mm hole for M6 bolt, rust prevent, insert revit nut and bolt on..
Thanks for that @Fish , when the garage showed me - i did mention how about modifying it and they were not keen .... said it would weaken the structure ... afraid they are going to have go back. Pity as I liked them and really did want them fitted and I am not able to do them myself. Thanks again for comments & thoughts.

Here's a lonk to the ones that DON'T work due to rear a/c pipes! I am seeing a welding guy about changing the shape as per @Fish suggestions to see if it can be done etc... these things are sent to try a novice like me!!!
VW T6 TRANSPORTER LWB 76MM SIDE BARS WITH STEPS STAINLESS STEEL H-DUTY CHROME | eBay

I cannot believe you cannot find anyone to modify the bars. Ok, it's not a 2 min job and most places will charge a reasonable cost for the time, but surely there's someone in Stamford that can carry out this fairly straight forward mod?
By the looks of the pictures, if the whole leg was removed and turned around, then welded back on a couple of inches back, the foot should slip under the AC piping, providing it's not touching.

If you are that desperate and can loose the van for a couple of days, i'm sure my bodyshop will do this job, but it's when they can fit you in and if you can get it over to Leicester and leave it. (unless you have the exact measurements of where you want the foot moving to, but that's risky without the van to offer up to)

I cannot believe you cannot find anyone to modify the bars. Ok, it's not a 2 min job and most places will charge a reasonable cost for the time, but surely there's someone in Stamford that can carry out this fairly straight forward mod?
By the looks of the pictures, if the whole leg was removed and turned around, then welded back on a couple of inches back, the foot should slip under the AC piping, providing it's not touching.

If you are that desperate and can loose the van for a couple of days, i'm sure my bodyshop will do this job, but it's when they can fit you in and if you can get it over to Leicester and leave it. (unless you have the exact measurements of where you want the foot moving to, but that's risky without the van to offer up to)

Wow thanks for that, I am having another conversation with the Garage/Supplier as they have different views - if this all fails I may well be in touch again ... I agree with you that it should be doable ...but most one Company wanted silly money .... and my/Mrs budget doesn't cover that!!! Seriously @Tourershine we may talk soon! Thanks again for taking the time to reply - appreciate it, cheers for now Paul

YOU COULDN'T MAKE IT UP!!! After numerous phone calls and sending photos to VANSTYLE they have confirmed they have sent me the WRONG Support Bars! Unbelievable .... but thought I would share - be aware that this could happen to you .... the amount of time spent on this I would rather not count or the cost! In fairness VanStyle are sorting this in the next couple of weeks ....

Thanks to @Roca @Tourershine @Ads_Essex @Mairy @Fish for your thoughts, suggestions etc .....

YOU COULDN'T MAKE IT UP!!! After numerous phone calls and sending photos to VANSTYLE they have confirmed they have sent me the WRONG Support Bars! Unbelievable .... but thought I would share - be aware that this could happen to you .... the amount of time spent on this I would rather not count or the cost! In fairness VanStyle are sorting this in the next couple of weeks ....

Thanks to @Roca @Tourershine @Ads_Essex @Mairy @Fish for your thoughts, suggestions etc .....
So did they send you a different support bar which overcame the a/c pipe work..

So did they send you a different support bar which overcame the a/c pipe work..
I had exactly the same issue with them..... yes it did get sorted and I got a discount on the correct ones of 30% as agarage that was doing work for me wasted an hour trying to make them work.

Che co for scratches on the ones they send.... recognising they are a great cheap option etc... good luck with your issue .... it is worth it we lived localish so I got Vanstule to fit them for me.... appreciate this mah not be an option for you.

Cheers Paul

Back