Fitting new head unit need some help please

The Flying Scotsman

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I’ve fitted the pioneer head unit my wife got me for Christmas and I’ve got a few questions.
I’ve got nearly everything all hooked up and working.
Just the DAB Ariel to fix to the windscreen and cables to run for that, the mic and rear camera.
I got the full kit from Chris at the Van Cave and I’ve no doubt he would happily help me but I don’t want to bother him just now and now is when I’ve got time to fit all my new bits.
Questions I have are.
What’s the square magnetic black box ? I’ve got it stuck to the head unit, its got the long cable coiled up.
And where’s best to stick it too?
And I’m not sure if I’ve got the correct adapter for what I presume is the FM Ariel. It’s got the double green plug at one end which I tried to plug into a similar double socket removed from the original head unit but they don’t go together. Maybe wrong adapter? It says golf on the packet. Also what’s the blue wire for? that’s attached to this same adapter and where does it go?
Finally I got the USB adapter so the USB port in my dash still works and was told I needed to swap out the dash one with it.
So I’ve uncliped the dash USB and disconnected the cable but I can’t see how the new cable clips into the original housing. It’s much thinner than the original
Does the original one come apart further and allow me to attach the new cable?
Any help most appreciated
Cheers

IMG_5508.jpegIMG_5510.jpegIMG_5513.jpegIMG_5515.pngIMG_5507.jpegIMG_5514.jpegIMG_5506.jpegIMG_5512.jpeg

The square magnetic thing looks like your GPS antenna
Thanks mate,
I did wonder if that’s what it was.
Chris from the Van Cave messaged me this morning and I’ve still to receive the USB adapter that makes it fit into the dash so it’s just the other questions I’m needing answered now.
Hopefully Chris will put me right soon.
Thanks for your help.

when you removed the fM plug away from the old Vw radio you didn’t remove it correctly resulting in pulling part of it from the radio now it’s stuck in the plug it self.. remove this then the new adapter will fit correctly

the blue lead goes to the blue lead on the pioneer

when you removed the fM plug away from the old Vw radio you didn’t remove it correctly resulting in pulling part of it from the radio now it’s stuck in the plug it self.. remove this then the new adapter will fit correctly

That’s excellent thanks.
I will give that a go soon.
Is the magnetic black box the GPS antenna?
Where is best to attach this to?
Thanks for your help.

I’ve removed the bit from the FM plug and it fits great now thanks.
Still not sure where the blue cable goes. It has a weird metal end on it. There doesn’t appear to be a blue cable coming from the pioneer.
I’ve attached pics of the cables.
Cheers

IMG_5522.jpegIMG_5521.jpegIMG_5520.jpeg

The terminal is a iso pin designed to slot into the iso plug, line it up with the blue white system remote wire, or cut it of and attempt h to the system remote

Back