Fitting an aftermarket splitter - fixings look flimsy.

alex_p

T6 Pro
Hi all,

Just bought a fairly basic gloss black splitter for my t6.1 and it came with some galvanised self tappers. I’m impressed with the rigidity and finish of the splitter, but am questioning the fixtures…

They looked a bit flimsy for my liking, so I’ve got out some 25mm M6 stainless bolts with 15mm washers and nyloc nuts, which I’m thinking will do a better job.

Having watched a few videos on YouTube, they all seem happy with the self tappers - am I overthinking and over engineering? Don’t want to drill 10 holes in my bumper without good reason, but would also hate to have some rusty old screws struggling to hold the splitter on in a year or two…

Anyone got an opinion or advice?

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with over thinking and over engineering. Whilst my splitter was fitted with bolts and nylocs, several were rusted out. So using stainless is a good idea if you or the next owner want them to come apart easily.

Thanks both, I’ll do it properly - I had the nice surprise that the van has an engine under tray on, which crosses one job off the list, so it might mean a bit of deconstruction is required to get bolts and spanners where they need to go…!

Hi all,

Just bought a fairly basic gloss black splitter for my t6.1 and it came with some galvanised self tappers. I’m impressed with the rigidity and finish of the splitter, but am questioning the fixtures…

They looked a bit flimsy for my liking, so I’ve got out some 25mm M6 stainless bolts with 15mm washers and nyloc nuts, which I’m thinking will do a better job.

Having watched a few videos on YouTube, they all seem happy with the self tappers - am I overthinking and over engineering? Don’t want to drill 10 holes in my bumper without good reason, but would also hate to have some rusty old screws struggling to hold the splitter on in a year or two…

Anyone got an opinion or advice?

Thanks!
Pics when it’s on please :)

Back