Fitting a VW tailgate bike rack

GoatBoater

Senior Nerd
T6 Guru
Finally got an hour of daylight to have a crack a time fitting the bike rack and I'm stumped about where I am meant to out the protective stickers.

The attached instruction shows that the top stickers should be 204mm from something. From what though? Can't fathom where I should measure from.

IMG_20171125_164032.jpg

Can anyone point a numpty in the right direction?

I fitted a barn door bike rack a few months back but instead of sticking them on the van I stuck them to the actual hook type bracket that will touch the van. Not issues to report with that technique.

Reactions: KR.
Isn’t it the hinge of the tailgate?

Ok edit required cos I opened this as a tab but didn’t reply as the dinner needed attention

Last edited:
The instructions are a bit poor just wait until you try and figure out where the little straight strip goes ??
I use a chinograph to mark the centre point on the tailgate between the hinges and measure the distance between the brackets on the rack and use the mark to centre the measurement allowing a couple mm for the overhang of the sticky pads

If your unsure, just hang it on without tightening up, obviously pop something on to protect the paint and just mark it up, take it off again and then apply your protective strip, they arnt heavy I managed mine myself.

As above, I got mine almost new on e bay without instructions. I used ‘helicopter tape’ (used on the leading edge of rotor blades as a sacrificial strip) from e bay and hung it over the tailgate, marked the contact points with paper tape and went from there.

A great design and worthwhile bit of kit,

Make sure it’s a dry day, everywhere the tape touches wipe down with meths. If the tape is warm it will be easier to use ( I know November may be a little difficult!). Don’t wear nitrile or latex gloves as you will end up sticking to the tape, have a stiff plastic squeegee to push any bubbles out...

Have fun!

If it wasn’t for the number plate I would think I was looking at my van, is it a CMC- Reimo conversion? They did such a good job putting the protective stickers on mine that at first I thought they were colour coded not clear. No bubbles at all. I have seen stickers on the back of some Cali’s that looked like a four year old had put them on.

If it wasn’t for the number plate I would think I was looking at my van, is it a CMC- Reimo conversion? They did such a good job putting the protective stickers on mine that at first I thought they were colour coded not clear. No bubbles at all. I have seen stickers on the back of some Cali’s that looked like a four year old had put them on.
My dealer fitted my rack and I'm pretty sure they did get a four year old to put them on.

E37151B3-7323-4555-9B6C-656B4C783155.jpeg Thanks @Markymark , the conversion was done locally at MAL VW, still really happy with the van and the conversion, even more that the leaky side window has been fixed!
Reimo roof, with the rest being MAL’s design. The bike rack was an e bay bargain and has lugged 3 bikes across the alps to Italy a couple of times. Still loving the Acapulco blue too...

I think you guys with those fab vans and cool bike racks have convinced me to plump for the full on VW bike rack for my camper when it's finished. Loving the pics.

just fitted my VW bike rack, sourced from Banwy in their Black Friday deal. Relatively easy to fit and stick the paint protection patches on. One thing that had me stumped was the bars that link onto the bikes have been attached to the rack round the wrong way (the adjustable clamp was on the bike rack frame instead of on the side hanging ready to attach to a bike, swapped round now)

Given how expensive they are I would of expected a cover for the bottom two corners to cover some of the black plastic and bolts to give a nicer finish, but it is a bike rack after all..

On the whole very pleased.

(fitting the stronger gas struts also gave me a headache (literally).

Back