Fitted my Boab insect screen

Thanks but no thanks. I'd rather wash off the few insects that stick to the front than have a mesh screen with rotting insects collecting on it.

I‘ve studied Fluid Mechanics and my gut feeling is that the bare clean net will reduce airflow more than the insects.
It might have a use in Australia or Africa I guess but at least the van won’t get Covid 19.

and get nicked for obscuring your number plate £1000 fine
That’s a very good point that you made.. thanks for reminding me not to have my number plate obscured... much appreciated your advice.

Are you expecting a plague of locusts to follow the coronavirus? :)
The
Are you expecting a plague of locusts to follow the coronavirus? :)
The way the year is going anything could happen yet... but hopefully not a plague of locusts.

I‘ve studied Fluid Mechanics and my gut feeling is that the bare clean net will reduce airflow more than the insects.
It might have a use in Australia or Africa I guess but at least the van won’t get Covid 19.

That’s a good point about reduced air flow.. thanks for sharing...

That's different . . . . . . .

Cheers dude.... I really liked the look of it.. seen it loads of times in Australia on T6’s and definitely keeps the bugs off the front .

Thanks but no thanks. I'd rather wash off the few insects that stick to the front than have a mesh screen with rotting insects collecting on it.

Haha...

Hmm .. not sure there are just a "few insects" ? Maybe dawdling around the UK but it's a whole different ball game after 9hrs straight at a constant 80mph+ through France to The Alps. You cant even see your headlights or front end. 100% insect coverage, layer upon layer of the b*ggers :mad:

Last edited:
Hmm .. not sure there are just a "few insects" ? Maybe dawdling around the UK but it's a whole different ball game after 9hrs straight at 80mph through France to The Alps. You cant even see your headlights or front end. 100% insect coverage, layer upon layer of the b*ggers :mad:

Totally agree and that’s my experience also... Thanks good comment

@Wayne.wirral - those are the most restrained and polite responses I think I've ever seen following such a barrage of negative comments, well done to you sir!

I was originally wondering if someone had invented something that wasn't actually required but I do get it. Ref the number plate comment, there's loads of people on this forum with illegally spaced/altered number plates and the police appear to be letting that 'slide' so you probably have nothing to worry about - you can sort it there and then to their satisfaction too. I also don't think you need to worry about restriction of flow to the radiator either - these things have been tested in Australia where their winters are warmer than our summers.

F0E93117-7244-41D6-88F3-F8DEE0EFFF53.jpeg
This is what the front of my van looked like after a week out and about after the easing of lockdown and having driven to the south of France through the night every year for about 15 years I agree you do get a lot of bug splatter. I normally have to use a wet wipe to get them off the windscreen during stops but with a net fitted wouldn’t the bug juice still cover the paintwork and you would need to clean the netting somehow? If you like the look thats one thing but I’m not sure I understand the benefits of it.

Edit: just read the packet on the picture above. So it’s to stop bugs blocking the radiator. I didn’t know that was an issue, but some of the buggers are pretty hard to shift so I guess it could especially if it’s always dry.

Anyway, fair play for such a unique addition (in the uk at least). Can you put the number plate on top?

Last edited:
Nice pics of New Brighton in the background. Hope you live down there, @Wayne.wirral campers are not allowed down there anymore, in case you pump it up into a motorhome and stay with the others!

Anyway, could you not cover just the grill with this to stop the bugs on a longer drive, them remove and bung it in the site washing machine? (When available) doubt the air flow restriction would be that great but will keep the bug cr@p off the rad.

I was wondering if the net would pick up micro bits of road grits, trap them and then grind them into the paintwork over time?

@Wayne.wirral - those are the most restrained and polite responses I think I've ever seen following such a barrage of negative comments, well done to you sir!

I was originally wondering if someone had invented something that wasn't actually required but I do get it. Ref the number plate comment, there's loads of people on this forum with illegally spaced/altered number plates and the police appear to be letting that 'slide' so you probably have nothing to worry about - you can sort it there and then to their satisfaction too. I also don't think you need to worry about restriction of flow to the radiator either - these things have been tested in Australia where their winters are warmer than our summers.
I have to admit that when I read some of the replies to my post I was gob smacked how negative some of the replies are and also felt belittled by one or two of them.. it really did take some restraining but what do you gain by lowering your standards to the same level...
I think that this is a great forum full of fantastic information and I really want to add and share information with other decent like minded people.
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and basically stand by my side. It is very much appreciated and it is something that I would definitely do in return to anybody... thank you.

Last edited:
Back