First Mot Due

So back from the garage and guess what...... it failed. tow dangerous faults on it for front left and rear left type as they both have a cut in them that they feel is deep enough to effect the cords. But what made it even better is i have a month left on the MOT but they have invalidated that by actually failing my car before they even came to talk to me about it. Not really that impressed, ohh and to make it worse the only tyres they had in where £170 a pop and the final kick was you can take your car but it is now illegal which seemed to be a clear ploy to get me to shed out £340 as an impulse purchase. Pilotly said thanks but no, i will take my car home and think about sourcing tyres else were. Not very impressed, left nicely in the end when they could not even print out the service agreement for 10 minutes at which point the guys decided to be nice. But before that point zero customer service. SO anyway now i ma trying to source set of new tyres as another one is at 94% wear so might as well see what deal i can get on doing them all. ohh and final thing they ran out of time to clean the car, but don't worry we will do that when you bring it back for the MOT retest.

Do I sound a bit frustrated :)

In your earlier post you said "Mine goes in tomorrow for it first MOT with VW will let you know how it goes, fingers crossed. They are also doing an inspection so if it fails i will not be best pleased".
So the dealer was going to carry out an inspection and a formal MOT test, I'd have thought that that is the order that they should have done them in, so identifying the tyre defects before the MOT and giving you the chance to consider your options. Clearly not.
So assuming you have examined the tyres, are there cuts in them that are deep enough to affect the cords?
If there are it would be wrong of the MOT tester to award your vehicle a pass, and he had no choice but to record the fail on the dvsa database. He can't, once the test has commenced, stop the test to discuss the tyres with you.
Might not seem very sympathetic, but they're the rules and the rules are there for a reason.
You were optimistic taking it for an MOT with what you describe as a tyre with "94% wear".
So, on a brighter note :unsure: your van will be MOT worthy once you have replaced 4 items that you would have had to replace very soon anyway and even better, the apprentice didn't give it a once over with some neat TFR and a dirty sponge that he found on the floor.

Last edited:
That's a good point, the MoT system changed in May 2018 meaning a dangerous fail comes with the 'should not drive the vehicle' warning! One thing to consider when choosing an MoT station should always be their labour rates should any 'dangerous' issues be identified as paying for a recovery truck to take your vehicle to a cheaper garage probably isn't cost effective.

Sorry should have been more clear when I said inspection i meant it is the light service so it was an oil change and pollen filter (they also did the update for the adblue). Car is back in today for retest so hopefully it will pass having put the spare on and got one new tyre, cant afford any more than that this month.

Just to confirm totally agree with what your saying DaveD and not trying to make out that i want the garage to pass the van if it is dangerous, more frustrated with the way they seemed more interested in getting as much money as possible out of me as opposed to actually trying to help me get the car through the MOT in the most cost effective way. They are actually doing themselves out of business at the moment (which would earn them money) if they only change the way they approached things, like trying to actually support the customer as opposed to trying to rip us off.

You're so right, I found an independent garage / MOT station near me, gave it a try, they were brilliant, so now they do my car, my three daughter's cars and other family members, and I recommend them to others when the subject arises, so treating me well resulted in lots more trade for them, you'd think it would be obvious to them all.
There are people in the trade including on this forum, who treat their customers equally well and have a great reputation, if I wasn't happy with my local garage I'd drive further to use a garage recommended by a friend or on here.
Good Luck with the retest!

Back