First Mot Due

Lone Wolf

T6 Pro
It’s my first MOT due on my 2017 t32 and cant see nothing being wrong with it but what with the reputations of these VW main dealers I’m kind of suspect they wouldn’t be that keen to over highlight anything as it is still in warranty.
Am i be over cautious by thinking of taking it for an independent MOT at a recommended garage?

Depends, they might want to find faults to create warranty work for them with costs covered by VW?

Oh right I didn’t think it worked like that?
Thought it would be the opposite as how long it took to admit my leaky window saga
That’s interesting to know!

I'm going to have a MOT from an independent first and see what they say, then depending on result take it to VW.

It'll fail on the stuff not covered by the warranty - wiper blades, brake discs, tyres, headlight alignment..........;)

When the manufacturers warranty on my Audi SQ5 was running out a couple of years ago, I paid a local garage £30 to give the obvious stuff a quick once over just before I took it to the Audi dealership for it's first MOT. They basically did a 'mini MOT' (without paperwork) and looked for other stuff that could be warranty issues. They didn't find anything wrong and some might think that it was an unnecessary expense but it gave a mechanical numpty like me some peace of mind.

The VW main dealer I used (now closed) used to do a good price deal combining a mini service and an MOT. Never had a problem and prefer to have my oil and filter changed every year so the MOT was almost done for free.
May be worth checking if your dealer does similar (unless your on long life services)

Mine has just failed with 2 broken rear springs. 15000 miles it’s not had a hard life. Not covered by warranty.

Mine has just failed with 2 broken rear springs. 15000 miles it’s not had a hard life. Not covered by warranty.
I'm struggling to see how that is "normal wear and tear" and if it's not normal wear and tear how is it not a warranty item? Sounds more substandard parts used in manufacturing. I guess they'd say you've overloaded it.

It’s only had dogs in the back. It was the first inch on each spring. Wouldn’t accept it was crap springs.

One thing I've noticed is that coil springs appear to get thinner with every generation of vehicle - you never used to hear of breakages but now they're almost a consumable item. On a positive at least the one's that failed are on the back so much easier to replace!

Get the MOT done a month early, and the days will be added on. I would go to a good independent and get it properly checked out so they can highlight any warranty issues, then you have plenty of time to book it in to be sorted.

That really is piss poor. Did you stamp your feet inside the dealership ?
There would be some shouting going on if it were me

Mine goes in tomorrow for it first MOT with VW will let you know how it goes, fingers crossed. They are also doing an inspection so if it fails i will not be best pleased.

Given my admittedly very limited experience of VW dealers to date, I think I would still be happier having an expert but independent eye cast over the van before it went anywhere near them.
PS. I should have said VW van dealers.

Last edited:
Back