First Day.... First Question!

Ryan-315

So I'm in the process of fitting airride to me 2016 highline.
I need a switch live. Id like to not interfere with the loom. Iv read lots about taking from the middle row of the fuse box with a piggy back fuse. The problem i am having is when I'm checking the fuses with a multi meter they show 0.29 volts. I don't quite understand can bus but this is telling me it's being monitored by a can line??? If I take from there will I have a problem?. The only fuse I found that is 0 volts until ign is number 55 which is a green with brown trace. On a diagram says 5a camper equipment. Not sure what it feeds as it's a panel van. Iv been told to join to the ignition live on the obd port. It checks out but again with ignition off shows 0.29 volts. Any one help??

I’ve piggybacked an ignition live from the middle row for my dash cam, DSP and amp remote. I used one of the empty slots in the middle row. You shouldn’t have any problems. 0.29v is pretty insignificant. Oh and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

As above. What @Deaky said.

But be careful with obd2 port power. that is a starter battery 24/7 supply. . . . Not ignitioned switched.

Also CAN bus is the data communications for the modules and doesn't effect and power feeds...... though some modules do monitor some lines like lights Etc.... that s normally With a return feed wire or intrrnal pull up/down resistors.

As above. What @Deaky said.

But be careful with obd2 port power. that is a starter battery 24/7 supply. . . . Not ignitioned switched.

Also CAN bus is the data communications for the modules and doesn't effect and power feeds...... though some modules do monitor some lines like lights Etc.... that s normally With a return feed wire or intrrnal pull up/down resistors.

The black with purple trace on obd is a switch live. A few people use it but iv also tested it and it's switched. I was just worried about this 0.29v all the switched lives show. I don't want any dash lights

Yeah I know it doesn't effect the power feed but some times adding into a monitored circuit throws up a fault doesn't it?

I’ve piggybacked an ignition live from the middle row for my dash cam, DSP and amp remote. I used one of the empty slots in the middle row. You shouldn’t have any problems. 0.29v is pretty insignificant. Oh and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

I know .29v isn't anything but it does show something else is going on there. On pre canbus vehicles a switch live would be 0 volts until key is turned.

Cheers lots of info on here!

The black with purple trace on obd is a switch live. A few people use it but iv also tested it and it's switched. I was just worried about this 0.29v all the switched lives show. I don't want any dash lights

Yeah I know it doesn't effect the power feed but some times adding into a monitored circuit throws up a fault doesn't it?

What pin number on the obd2 port were you referring to?

I'll bell mine out tomorrow and see what I get on the multimeter.

Obd2 pinots

Pin16 is battery +12v

Pin4 is chassis ground. 0v.

Pin 6/14 is CAN hi/low

volkswagen_obd2.jpg

Last edited:
Back